·
Premium Member
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
what??

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Could you pls point me to the J Stewart stories?
Stewart is fanatical about SIFO and disdainful of trail-braking.

When informed that Bob Bondurant had had some success with trail-braking, his response was "and how many World Championships has Bob Bondurant won?"

Well, it ain't braggin' if you can do it.

Ford has a test track with wires buried in the pavement. By putting a widget in a car, their computer can record the position of the car at any time.

Old retired Stewart and three young current sports-car racers took a Taurus out on the track all day. At the end of the day, they checked the computer records. Stewart had the fastest laps. His entry speed to every one of the corners was slower than the other three drivers. They all believe in SIFO, but they don't believe in it as strongly as Stewart does.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
This thread gets better every time I read it... particularly like the moss qoutes about going in fast and coming out dead :).

As far as both feet in in our cars, I think we do ok. From what I can tell lotus installed the crappiest cheapest ABS they could find. This has pluses and minuses. I've spun many times in autox, and both feet in at a spin over 50mph (or 40mph in the rain) generally winds up with the car settling into a rear-first backwards slide in whatever direction your momentum happens to point. The motion seems relatively straight after the first 50 to 70 feet or so. At least that's my experience at autocross speeds (under 70mph). For track use that's probably predictable enough...?

The bad news is that when the ABS does kick in due to bumpy surfaces (especially a bumpy stop on a downhill... such as concord street & rt 16 in Wellesly center!), it's so inefficient that it will probably add 25-30% to your stopping distance... hence the nick name "ice mode"

I've had occasional issues with ice mode in competition and I've toyed with the idea of disabling my abs when racing, but haven't yet tried it.

As for the SM emergency line. Do some autocross. You'll learn to break in a straight line in autocross... just after you try to trail break (or even just lift) to slow down in a turn and then and learn about putting both feet in :).

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Crazy, I never knew that it was called the Moss emergency line. I do this all the time when I'm riding my motorcycle. Didn't know that there was a name for it. I think on a bike, it's even more finicky because the contact patch is about 1" wide.

·
Super Moderator
5,453 Posts
This thread gets better every time I read it... particularly like the moss qoutes about going in fast and coming out dead :).

As far as both feet in in our cars, I think we do ok. From what I can tell lotus installed the crappiest cheapest ABS they could find. This has pluses and minuses. I've spun many times in autox, and both feet in at a spin over 50mph (or 40mph in the rain) generally winds up with the car settling into a rear-first backwards slide in whatever direction your momentum happens to point. The motion seems relatively straight after the first 50 to 70 feet or so. At least that's my experience at autocross speeds (under 70mph). For track use that's probably predictable enough...?

The bad news is that when the ABS does kick in due to bumpy surfaces (especially a bumpy stop on a downhill... such as concord street & rt 16 in Wellesly center!), it's so inefficient that it will probably add 25-30% to your stopping distance... hence the nick name "ice mode"

I've had occasional issues with ice mode in competition and I've toyed with the idea of disabling my abs when racing, but haven't yet tried it.

As for the SM emergency line. Do some autocross. You'll learn to break in a straight line in autocross... just after you try to trail break (or even just lift) to slow down in a turn and then and learn about putting both feet in :).
Interesting comment... when the Elise was fitted with ABS there was much discussion about it diluting the purity of the previous, unassisted, brakes. The technical reports and the journalist reviews were extremely complimentary of the system when it was finally tested.

·
Premium Member
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Crazy, I never knew that it was called the Moss emergency line. I do this all the time when I'm riding my motorcycle. Didn't know that there was a name for it. I think on a bike, it's even more finicky because the contact patch is about 1" wide.
I think you must be right.

·
Premium Member
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Without ABS, the car would have been less attractive for me.

·
Premium Member
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
I thought it was time to explain this to newer members.

Also:

We've seen crashes because of ppl using the wrong tire for a situation.

Too cold, too much standing water, etc.

Please know your tires and where they do not, were not designed to, perform.

Be safe, all.

·
Premium Member
6,344 Posts
That's what turn 1 at LRP is about (with the trail braking added) every time you do it right!! Release brake and get ready for 2

·
Premium Member
11,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Big Bend?

How do you drive that? I had many miles @ LRP, but don't remember and am unsure if I ever got that right.

41 - 52 of 52 Posts