The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 06 redesign thread got me thinking, with the new fed restrictions that are going to go into effect, this could very well be the last super lightweight raw sportscar ever available in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Keep in mind we aren't getting the raw Elise. We are getting ABS, AC, power windows/locks, power brakes, airbags, Jap motor, etc.....

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
As regulations for manufacturers and type approval get more and more strict on either side of the pond ther may come a point where you only have one option left: build a car yourself.

I know that kit-cars have a very bad image in the USA, but I don't mean some re-bodied Fiero here. I'm talking about buying a 'car in parts' and then assembling/building it.

Cars like the Ultima are probably even more 'raw' than the Elise (I'm disregarding the fact that it's otherwise a *very* different car), but you'll have to build it yourself.

That way you can (still) bypass a lot of the stuff that full-blown manufacturers have to make their cars comply to and get it approved for road use (at least here in europe)

A well-built kitcar (using high-quality parts and a custom built chassis) doesn't have to be any worse than a 'production' car. Several I have seen were probably even better.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I agree with Arno - if you want "raw", talk to Chuck Beck about one of his spyders or, even better, his Lister Corvette replica ! These cars are so raw, they don't have door-handles or "real" usable tops. He's also working on a 904 replica (has been for years and years, maybe someday it'll actually happen !)

Vintage Spyders in Orange, Ca makes a nice 550 replica, as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The Noble M12 is also now available in the US in kit form only. I think its $60k + engine though.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
Durning the summer talked to a CA company offering the Noble, turnkey kit, 4cyl (street legal) was around $85k, add $15k for the TT V-6 (track only).

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
In the UK the Noble come with a TT V-6, not running as much boost as the kit car. The price in the UK is around $85k, not too bad compared to the US kit car... but compared to the Elise (with the street legal Noble running a 4cyl) no contest. :D

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Mosler automobiles are typically very "raw" too.
The new models look exactly like a widened Corvette from the rear and a bit like a Ferrari or Lambo from the front. They look like they weight a lot more too, and they cost about $150,000- If I had the $ I'd by a Ferrari instead.

The old Consuliers were pretty raw, and were more like the Elise, I think that they once were considered the one of the best handling cars, and quicker on a road track than a Corvette and cost about 40K. I believe they used a turbo 4 cylinder Dodge engine or something similar that was reworked. But they were ugly. I mean reallly ugly. But their performance came from being light weight.

They also did some wild stuff with Jeeps and even had a Cadillac conversion that had an engine in the front and another one in the trunk! Their lot looked like it had a lot of debris after the tornado a couple months ago, I heard that a railroad car or empty trailer car got thrown around and landed there!.... hope nothing got damaged inside.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
xxxotic said:
The new models look exactly like a widened Corvette from the rear and a bit like a Ferrari or Lambo from the front. They look like they weight a lot more too, and they cost about $150,000- If I had the $ I'd by a Ferrari instead.
Uhh... don't know where you get your info, but the Mosler MT900 weighs only 1980 pounds... about the same as your Fed. Elise... and the Photon version (the upgraded one) will be coming out with a 500+ hp 383 c.i. engine next year. With figures like that, I'd buy it even if it looked like a Raptor. Although personally, I think it looks HOT.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
"last sportscar" sounds a little dramatic, but there's definitely something to your theory. The thing that mainly worries me is that new cars are getting heavier and heavier. A couple of years ago I browsed through the Consumers Guide for new cars, specifically looking for lightweight cars. There's barely anything under 2500 lbs. MR2 and Miata were almost the only ones, the Celica is fairly light. There aren't even that many cars clearly under 3000 lbs. Then you have something like the 350Z coming out. Looks like a nice little sportscar... and it's 3200 lbs! The RX-8 at 3000 lbs is almost a lightweight by today's standards.

So yes, that's probably the main reason why I jumped on the Elise relatively quickly after I found out about it. It doesn't break the bank (relatively speaking), and I'm not sure if we'll be able to buy such cars for much longer.

·
Registered
71 Posts
ConeFusion said:
"The RX-8 at 3000 lbs is almost a lightweight by today's standards.
Have you seen the RX-8 Ads in the car mags, "weight is the enemy", like 3000lbs is light. Thats OK I don't consider anything with more than two seats a sportscar anyhow, but still the Celica weighs more than 200lbs less and it's the same type of car, coupe/GT.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Mosler MT900... $159k, Ferrari over $150k. Anyway if I was gonna spend that much I would buy the Ford GT40... That car is ruthless:)

Plus I hear Ferrari oil changes cost $700. That’s just plain crazy. I know someone that had owned a few of them, he told me the engines are like true race engines. While that sounds good it’s not. He also said they’re pretty much shot after 3k miles. That’s why you see so many for sale with really low miles. It is the kind of car that spends the weekdays in the shop and only runs on the weekend.. I guess that's cool if you have ten other cars to drive. But if I had just bought a really cool car I would wanna drive it every chance I got till I'm sick of it... If that's possible?

Of course you'll be hard pressed to actually get a Ford GT40 for only $150k.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Derek said:
[...]
Plus I hear Ferrari oil changes cost $700. That’s just plain crazy.
[...]
For the Enzo, that $700 will only cover the custom Shell oil @$60/qt.; it does not include labor or the filter. If you think that is crazy, how about $6k for brake pads and $24k for the rotors? That lovely V-12 that gets you to 200+mph will run you $200k...

I have hope for future lightweight production sports cars, but not in the near future with ever increasing gov't requirements. The only way I can see to combat the worsening obesity in cars is to have scientific breakthroughs in materials science or alternative fuels, or maybe even nanotechnology.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts