The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to install a rearview cam in my recently acquired Exige S.

I've looked through some of the posts, talked to a couple of guys who've installed, and have done some looking online for what's out there.

I'm not a car electronics afficionado, so a lot of what I'm hearing/seeing isn't connecting for me. I've seen wireless cams that beam to a receiver to be installed in the cabin, but I have my doubts the signal would get through the engine compartment of the Lotus.

I'm not at all interested in upgrading the stereo, couldn't care less about the audio in the car. I just want a cam (preferrably license plate mount), appropriate monitor that doesn't need to (or will) do anything else...no DVD's, no nav, just show what's coming from the cam.

Relatively easy to install.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Referrals?

TIA

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
The biggest problem is trying to find a place to mount a screen thats big enough to see whats going on the monitor. Personally I just went with a head unit that has a pop up screen. Works great for me.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Stay away from wireless. Running a wire is not that hard. And yeah, the hardest part is fitting a screen that works in the Lotus. I second the head unit idea.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I don't know if you plan to drive this car until it dies, but I would always think of resale. Going through the trouble of the camera without a compatible device that does more is kind of like when the previous owners of my house installed central heat, but not AC while they were doing the work. It seemed very short sighted to me (as I sweat.)

You might not care to have more, but you also don't have to use the extra stuff. The day you get lost in the hood you'll be happy you have a GPS.

I wanted a rear view and a GPS, so I went with the JVC KD NX5000. I will never watch a DVD in the car, but the screen is big and bright enough to see the rear view (which you can leave on all the time), it fits the car well and is made to use a camera.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts