The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everybody,

I've just bought the cable to use Koldfire tune in my mk3 YM11 Elise SC from the official distributor in Europe, Komotec.

I've received yesterday the cable but ... Just the cable !! No software. So I can't dump my ECU to send it to Komotec and get it back tuned.

I've tried to use the one downloaded on the official distributor in US market (BOE) called flashxpress OBD in version 18 but on lauching, it tells me this version has expired !

I've send an email to Daniel at Komotec to have the software, but I'm really impatient to dump my ECU to speed up everything (on sunday, Daniel does'nt work I think, tomorow I'll not be at home so, at least, nothing before Tuesday ! Do you see how long it is ? I'm like a kid at christmas !), so if someone could give me this soft ...

Thanks a lot (and sorry for my really poor English).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Have you tried rolling back your clock on your computer in the meantime ?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried rolling back your clock on your computer in the meantime ?
Thanks, just tried now with the date set to october 2010.

No more error message (we progress !) but the soft will not launch now. Nothing happen on double clicking.

(I run a 64bits win7)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I don't know the software. Sometime the device drivers don't like 64bit operating system. You can try using compatibility mode ( fooling the system that it is Windows XP ). You can also try putting the executable in syswow64 folder in windows\system32\syswow64
Hopefully that works. if not download virtualbox and install windows XP inside your windows 7 and hopefully that works. Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already tried compatibility mode: does'nt work.

I try on a 7 32bits with my old laptop not used since one year: it works !!

Thanks.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Dont waste your money on Kold-Fire.
Their tunes are not well thought out and you have to rely on them for upgrades.
Contact Mike at [email protected] He has software coming out that will allow you to tune your car on the fly and fully under your control. No sending files for updates. That's crappy old-school!!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Contact Mike at [email protected] He has software coming out that will allow you to tune your car on the fly and fully under your control. No sending files for updates. That's crappy old-school!!
Come on, lets be fair here. They have provided plenty of people with off the shelf tunes and I have heard good comments on them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks, David!

Well, if the money was wasted on our tunes, we wouldn't have sold hundreds of cables and meanwhile thousands of tunes since 2004 by now. We also have "countless" Race wins in different Lotus race series all over the world with cars that had our "not well thought out" tunes in it rotfl

Anyway, Dwarfy himself told he was "like a kid at christmas" and things would have been faster IF there wouldn't have been the LOG.
PLUS he got the Cable from Komo-Tec, not BOE.

We got the tune request by Wednesday late evening and yesterday was a holiday over here in Germany, so, he'll get it today... :rolleyes:

PLUS Dwarfy, maybe next time you should contact us directly through the mail address you sent the request to...

Cheers!
Luke

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, if the money was wasted on our tunes, we wouldn't have sold hundreds of cables and meanwhile thousands of tunes since 2004 by now. We also have "countless" Race wins in different Lotus race series all over the world with cars that had our "not well thought out" tunes in it rotfl

Anyway, Dwarfy himself told he was "like a kid at christmas" and things would have been faster IF there wouldn't have been the LOG.
PLUS he got the Cable from Komo-Tec, not BOE.

We got the tune request by Wednesday late evening and yesterday was a holiday over here in Germany, so, he'll get it today... :rolleyes:

PLUS Dwarfy, maybe next time you should contact us directly through the mail address you sent the request to...

Cheers!
Luke
Hi !

I was just hurry with my new toy :) Don't want to make a seism or something else ... That's not the point of this post !

I've contacted you by mail for the problem with the software and you give me the link to download your soft. Everything was fine except the drivers from FTDI ...

And I've solved the problem by myself: the cable has the good Vendor ID (VID) but the PID is NOT on the drivers *.inf files. So I've to modify the drivers files to let them installed. It's not a huge work, but for somebody who doesn't know anything in computers, he can't solve that problem by himself so ... If not, drivers will never be installed and your soft doesn't found the cable.

Now I've the software. I've the cable with working drivers. Just waiting for the tune :) (and you answered quickly and professionnaly to all of my email, thanks a lot)

Thank.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And now I've the tune.

In less than 48hours with a holliday day in the middle. Nice :bow:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey!

Glad you're happy now :D

The driver stuff had a different reason, you’ve been the first of the Komo-Tec customers that got a cable out of the newest batch (NO JOKE) and I just forgot to send Daniel the new driver over the weekend.

So THAT was clearly my fault…

Cheers!
Luke

·
Registered
224 Posts
I agree, another disgruntled customer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Guys
I think you need to put things in perspective here. Dwarfy - by your own admission, you said that you were impatient. I fitted a Komo-Tec kit to my Elise about 3 months ago and the support I have received from Koldfire (Luke) has been nothing short of fantastic.

I've even had 2 instances where I was literally out driving in my car and wanted to make minor tweaks to my tune and I've pulled over to the side of the road, emailed Luke and literally had responses back from Luke within minutes ! I've never ever experienced such responsiveness from any support person for anything !

The wealth of knowledge and the research that Kold-Fire and Komotec have put into the Lotus product is extensive to say the least. I do not think it fair at all that you criticise their product at all. The testament to their product and tune development "in my eyes" is reinforced by the fact that since installing my tune, my car has never missed a beat, never really sputtered at all and has delivered a staggering amount of performance improvement over the base car.

They stand by their product. Over here in Australia, there is another company offering a Supercharger kit for the Elise and whilst their Hardware and quality of workmanship is extremely good, they cannot match Kold-Fire & Komotec for the extensive amount of research and dyno time that they've put into the development of their product. That's the reason why I purchased the Komotec/Kold-Fire kit and I don't regret it for a moment.

O'h by the way, Dwarfy - the latest software and drivers are actually available on the Komotec website if you care to look. In fact here's the link: Software Download OBD Flasher - KOMO-TEC Online

I've in fact just downloaded it yesterday to talk a friend of mine through his ECU re-flash and it worked perfectly.

My car is a 2009 Elise "S" (normally aspirated with the Toyota 1ZZ-FE Engine). Standard flywheel power 100kW. Below is a dyno plot done after fitting the Komo-Tec kit - look at the improvements in Torque & Power with the new Kold-Fire tune.:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi,

everything is done, no problem at all. I'em make about 120km in the Turini.

Duno if it's the modified throttle response who give me this feeling or if it's really real, but it seems the car push really much more in lower rpm and hit the rev limiter really faster.

No dyno or no lap time (my next track session in 15 days) for the moment.

But I'm *really* happy with that tune and I think if I have to keep only one modification on my car, this will be this one.

Thanks a lot to Kold-fire and Komotec :clap:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks Fergus and Dwarfy!

Nice to hear such feedback... :bow:

@Dwarfy: I didn‘t even touch the original throttle map as it is not necessary with your firmware. But there are some other nice changes :D
The car not only has more peak power now, it also has a much better torque trend and this is why you REALLY gained also in lower rpm range.

We’ve had another French SC on the dyno I think 2 months ago with a similar setup. I’ll have a look at the dyno plots on Monday and will send / post them. Don't have it on this PC...

It's this guy with Type 25 Elise SC with ceramic 2bular ... this SC made around 255hp at the end!

@Fergus: Your car is really strong! A "normal" 220S is around 160kW, you can see a comparison of an Elise S 1ZZ-FE making 103kW stock and 161kW with the Komo-Tec Kit on stock exhaust and 1st intercooler Gen... Same car, same dyno.

Have fun!

Cheers!
Luke

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks Luke. I think that the extra few kW & Nm that I am seeing from my Dyno Plot can be attributable partially to the fact that I am also running 2Bular Headers, Sports Cat (200 cell) and a High Flow exhaust. They seem to have really complimented the tune.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I agree, another disgruntled customer.
Never been a customer, never will.
I can now tune my car on the fly.
Don't need a "canned" tune. Certainly if the Kold-Fire
tune we just read off a local SC car is indicative of their
technology I'm not even close to impressed. There has just been
limited competition......until now.
Best of luck to the Kold-Fire boys and their customers!!
Your seriously low tech!!!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Hmmm....:popcorn:

·
Registered
224 Posts
I regret my previous post. I shouldn't post anything after the evening Whiskey kicks in.
Just to clarify my issues, I did receive excellent follow up support from Kold Fire but I guess our fuel and atmospheric conditions in Australia are different to the U.S setup. Plus my injectors were bigger and I mucked around with smaller pulley and big headers,so in the end it was extremely difficult to email me a tune that would work smoothly.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts