The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I had to do it. It's just hard for anyone to see what make of car the Esprit V8 is without the badging. The hood emblem in the back just doesn't register with people. And I am proud it's a Lotus. The last guy that asked me what kind of Ferrari that is was the last straw.

It's my favorite version of the Lotus badge, and it's still modern looking to me.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,130 Posts
Tasteful. Nice ride!

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
SJ Motorsports. Not cheap. 30 Quid.

They have it on their website. Think it's a 1988.

Bought it with the Protechs.

·
Super Moderator
3,931 Posts
Look at my avatar - despite the brazen blue license plate frame ( rear and front ) some folks don't see it. The puzzled look on their face confirms not everyone reads the obvious.

However, I have seen people at stop light crossing lip sync 'Lotus Esprit Turbo!'

Nice look on your V8, but I think the spoiler is going to be the focal point because of its prominence/size.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Looks great. I have gotten similar comments on my Exige - "Nice Ferrari" or "What kind of Ferrari is that" :shrug:

·
Registered
480 Posts
I recently did exactly the same thing on my 2001 V8. I got tired of being at a gas station or in a parking lot and have somebody come up to me and ask "Is that a Lamborghini/Ferrari/DeLorean?"

Even got the Lotus badge from the same source, SJ Motorsports in the UK

Attachments

·
Registered
308 Posts
What's so bad about someone thinking it's a Ferrari :p ?

What sucks is when I'm out in one of my Ferrari's, and people ask if it's a "Corvette" :mad:

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
What's so bad about someone thinking it's a Ferrari :p ?

What sucks is when I'm out in one of my Ferrari's, and people ask if it's a "Corvette" :mad:
That does hurt.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am absolutely amazed at how many people don't know what an Esprit is.

Since my car never makes it out of the garage, I dont have the stoplight, or gas station questions... but friends, relatives or passer-bys will see the car backed into the garage.. walk right up the the front of it (you know... where the bright yellow and green Lotus emblem is on a black car) look down and ask if its a Ferrari. They cant even take the context clue of the large Lotus banner hanging on the wall behind it... haha.

·
Registered
159 Posts
They ask me if it is a Ferrari. I say, "no it's a Lotus", and they say "oh, who makes that"?
(and my car is a '94 S4, so it already says "LOTUS" above the license plate!)

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The silver V8 has a bit much 'flare' ( Lotus emblem, plate frame, & badge) of the Lotus name.... truth is I've had my car for 11 years, heard all of the 'stupid questions' and as Patrick Swaymeat said "Just be nice"... if they piss you off "Just be nice".

When I was driving to LOG 22 I passed an Isuzu that had "Handling By Lotus" badges all over it... fenders, hood, trunk lid, etc. When I get to the parking lot at LOG 22 what do I see? That car! The people who owned the car were with the LOG group thinking their Isuzu was a Lotus because the suspension of the car was designed by Lotus. They were P/O'ed when told the car could not be on display for the concourse picture and had to park elsewhere and they even gave a fight about it.

Go figure... I just play the game and "Be nice" it comes with owning a car someone seldom sees.

·
Super Moderator
3,931 Posts
That does hurt.
V8
Decades ago my friend had his 78 Black Esprit S2 in a dark driveway. A friend of his roommate had his car blocked in the driveway and asked "Who can move the Fiero blocking the driveway?". Ouch!

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The silver V8 has a bit much 'flare' ( Lotus emblem, plate frame, & badge) of the Lotus name.... truth is I've had my car for 11 years, heard all of the 'stupid questions' and as Patrick Swaymeat said "Just be nice"... if they piss you off "Just be nice".
From now on I am circumventing that line of questioning by just saying it from the start: "What kind of car is that?" "It's made by a British car company famous for their racing heritage, called Lotus, and this car is called the Lotus Esprit."

And I plan to say it real slow with lots of pauses.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Note to Type 82 with your comment about the silver V8 having to much "flare" On taking a hard look at the back of my car, I had to agree with you although it's not something I really noticed before. I took off the chrome plate frame and now the back end does look a lot cleaner. Appreciate the feedback.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Note to Type 82 with your comment about the silver V8 having to much "flare" On taking a hard look at the back of my car, I had to agree with you although it's not something I really noticed before. I took off the chrome plate frame and now the back end does look a lot cleaner. Appreciate the feedback.
I too had a black Lotus logo license plate that I took off when I added the Lotus emblem for the same reason. I kept the black cap cover screws for a clean mounting of the plain license plate.

1998 Lotus Esprit V8

·
Registered
8 Posts
I recently did exactly the same thing on my 2001 V8. I got tired of being at a gas station or in a parking lot and have somebody come up to me and ask "Is that a Lamborghini/Ferrari/DeLorean?"

Even got the Lotus badge from the same source, SJ Motorsports in the UK
Took me a couple of years to get it, but I finally managed to get a plate that is very clear!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Thanks for the positive comment, I'm pleased you were not offended by my opinion and I'd love to see an 'after' picture. First thing that came to mind when I looked at it was the people who have a front license plate with the vehicle badge on it.

Yesterday the wife and I were out for a ride in the Spitfire when I saw this gorgeous black Mercedes AMG. As it came closer I noticed it had a black front plate with the Mercedes emblem on it... :huh: Just above it on the grill was the factory emblem :confused: why? I've seen a lot of BMW owners do that too :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the positive comment, I'm pleased you were not offended by my opinion and I'd love to see an 'after' picture. First thing that came to mind when I looked at it was the people who have a front license plate with the vehicle badge on it.

Yesterday the wife and I were out for a ride in the Spitfire when I saw this gorgeous black Mercedes AMG. As it came closer I noticed it had a black front plate with the Mercedes emblem on it... :huh: Just above it on the grill was the factory emblem :confused: why? I've seen a lot of BMW owners do that too :rolleyes:
I just try not to hate on people for using their cars to express themselves. Every if I don't like what they did to their car, I am happy to see people taking pride in their vehicle.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts