The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 - can the plastic covers over the door sills be removed? And if so is it just the bare aluminum underneath? Personally I'd rather be looking at aluminum than cheap plastic...

2 - Can you get a new Elise without the lip spoiler that is present on the 2008?+ cars? Personally I don't think it looks too hot.

Depending on how money things go in the next year or so, we might be able to afford an Elise. Would have bought one this summer, but we bought an expensive house instead. But now I think I've decided I want a supercharged car (supercharging my MR2 was the best thing that ever happened to it :D), which means I can't buy one of the deflated early models... so we'll see what happens. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
1. Yes but the look underneath isnt that great. Just buy carbon replacements.
2. Only the supercharged elises have the lip spoiler. It cant be removed from them so your only choice is a NA elise. But since you want a supercharged one then you should just get a used 07 exige S instead.

·
Registered
375 Posts
It's cheaper and can be more powerful to get an aftermarket supercharger and put it on an elise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I know it would be cheaper, but I want the warranty. I trust myself with old crappy cars like my 375,000 mile MR2, but if I'm going to fork out $40-50k for a new car, I'm going to leave it to the professionals, at least for a while. Bummer that the spoiler is standard equipment. It looks stupid. I personally don't like having the top on unless it's raining, nor do I like having no vision out the rear window, so I never really considered an Exige, and I still don't think I would.

Matt, weren't you on the PNW-MR2 mailing list a few years back? I haven't subscribed for a couple of years, but I still frequent the MR2OC forum...

Anyone have any pics of the side sills without the plastic covers? I have an aversion to decorative carbon fiber... at least I wouldn't pay money for carbon fiber to do the same job that cheap plastic was doing perfectly well.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Cutaway? not sure what you mean, this is how it looks. I presume the configuration is for strength. BTW that insulation in the second photo is my doing.
Michael
Nuts, that doesn't look very nice.

Is the second picture a cutaway? Interesting extrusion pattern..

·
Registered
4,901 Posts
You can get carpet sill covers, leather sill covers....
Not sure where the carpet ones on my friend's Elise cam from (he just bought it this weekend, and I have never seen the carpet ones or heard them mentioned before.
I saw Bell & Colvill in the UK has leather covers for not too much $.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Hmmmm I thought underneath those sills there would be a limitless amount of foam tape on an electric dispenser that pushed a few inches out the sides every week. I have had the car for 3 years and still about once a month a piece of foam tape peeks out, is it reproducing under there ?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hmmmm I thought underneath those sills there would be a limitless amount of foam tape on an electric dispenser that pushed a few inches out the sides every week. I have had the car for 3 years and still about once a month a piece of foam tape peeks out, is it reproducing under there ?
Hah, I came in here to post the same thing. I've had the car for a couple of weeks and it seems like any time someone new hops in the car, something about their differnt weight and entry method leaves me going back afterward to push the stuff back in.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I know it would be cheaper, but I want the warranty.
Then you could always have the Lotus factory SC installed post-purchase. It would give you the FI you want as well as maintain your warranty. Best of both worlds. :up:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Then you could always have the Lotus factory SC installed post-purchase. It would give you the FI you want as well as maintain your warranty. Best of both worlds. :up:
How much is it? I can't find a price on google. Other than the $8k and change premium for a new Elise SC over the standard Elise.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
How much is it? I can't find a price on google. Other than the $8k and change premium for a new Elise SC over the standard Elise.
Hmm, I believe it's ~$6,000. Can anyone confirm this? Your best bet is to call your local Lotus dealership, as I'm sure much of that price is labor, which varies from shop to shop.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hmm, I believe it's ~$6,000. Can anyone confirm this? Your best bet is to call your local Lotus dealership, as I'm sure much of that price is labor, which varies from shop to shop.
Dealer just quoted me $5,500-6,000 for SC installed

1 - 15 of 15 Posts