The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To seal the fuel tanks with the POR 15 kit what quantity is need to seal both tanks. Can the quart kit do both tanks? or do I need more than that?

I need to source sun roof hardware. The part I need is technically called a knurled roll pin. It is located on the sunroof hardware that is bolted to the body. On the sunroof hardware bolted to the body in the interior of the cabin are two small roll pins that the sunroof side hardware clips into there are two pins per side. I need one pair. I have found taper pins at Ace hardware without the knurling which will cause them to fall out in a short period of time. The ones I have been able to find are in boxes of 1000+ qty. Does anyone have a source for the knurled roll pins. The knurling is a serrated end that bites into the mounting hole when tapped in and holds them in place
TIA

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,365 Posts
Regards the POR-15...I've found that the Starter Kits (available for less than $25 USD) contain everything you need to do a pair of tanks....includes cleaner, Metal Ready, and the actual POR...even a brush and some gloves!

+++++++++++++++++

McMaster-Carr.com sells the knurled pins.

McMaster-Carr

I bet an industrial supply place locally might sell them too.

I'd ask for samples...you know, just to test the fit. ;)

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The McMasters pins are full diamond knurled.
The Esprit sunroof pin are straight knurled end pins. Straight knurl serrations on just one end with a smooth finish on the rest of the pin.
Similar to this picture

·
Cal H
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure if the split pins will catch on sun roof clips as it rotates around them while tilting the sun roof open and close. If possible I would prefer a smooth surface like the original part. Any have a spare body side sun roof side latch for sale? Most are looking for the sun roof side hardware and not the body side. It would be so easy to fix the ones I have if I could find the pins.

If the POR15 quart size gas tank repair kit will work for both tanks that's great. I was wondering if the small kit would be enough for both tanks

·
Registered
576 Posts
If you are talking about the inside of the tanks, one quart will do two, but it is very tricky.

The prep part is a bit of work but straightforward. It is very important that the tanks are properly cleaned and then etched, on all surfaces. They also need to be dry before the coating is applied. We usually sit them in the sun.

The actual coating product is prone to curing quickly, and you can not save it once you open the can. So you have to coat both tanks at the same time.
Also if you were to just pour in half a quart it is a lot harder to coat everything.

So we use one quart, pour it all in the first tank, tumble it then quickly drain and pour in the second tank, tumble it and drain and discard the leftover.

I built a special tumbling device out of 2x4 primitive but effective, (sorry no pic at the moment)which allows the tank to be hung from the ceiling and spun in all directions, and also allows it to be spun much faster, so the coating gets better distributed.
You can spin it by hand, but it is hard to get everything inside coated. We have seen tanks that were only partially coated and poorly prepped, and you end up with a mess.

Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts