The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I have read through the forums and have some ideas, but I wanted to be 100% sure before I make my decision (I want to keep this car for a long time)

Description:
I was rear ended by someone the other day, he was going at a very slow speed 1mph maybe and I was at stand still at a red light.
the impact put a crack across the center of the rear clam about 10 inches. If you look on the inside of the trunk you can see the crack about 1.5 inches above the bottom of the trunk.

Choice:
it is actually not noticeable, but as we have all seen in other posts a "full replacement of the rear clam" $20k is necessary. his insurance has agreed and there is a check in the mail on its way to me. I only owe $17k on the car and i only paid $23k for it. I am thinking pay the car off (am i able to do that legally?) and have it fixed vs replaced?

if I do decide to pay off the car and just get it fixed, are there potential problems, the repair shop mentioned that it might get worse over time, spider webbing type effect on the clam internally/on the paint, they also said the trunk may not be attached properly to the clam any more. does anyone know if i get it repaired at a good fiberglass repair place if this should be a problem? the impact was so minimal.

thanks for your advice!

·
Registered
577 Posts
I'd totally take the money and pay it off. They are paying you to agree that you have settled any differences between the two of you. If you choose to not fix it that is your prerogative, you just can't go after them later cause you actually wanted it fixed.

As for fixing it, it's just fiberglass, so a good shop could fix it. I recommend you pull the clam yourself (and get the Radium modular clam removal kit while you are at it). Then have the shop repair it. That will save you a TON of money.

Worst case if it spider webs later...time for a bit of a vinyl wrap. :)

·
Premium Member
5,193 Posts
I had an incedent recently where my front clam got cracked by road debris. I chose to replace based on Lotus recomedation to always replace and do not fix a clam. It could have been repaired. I guess it is personal choice on fix or replace though. It would be cool to just pay off the car and get it fixed and come out even though.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I had an incedent recently where my front clam got cracked by road debris. I chose to replace based on Lotus recomedation to always replace and do not fix a clam. It could have been repaired. I guess it is personal choice on fix or replace though. It would be cool to just pay off the car and get it fixed and come out even though.
I would replace as well if there was significant damage (or even just moderate damage), but since it is a straight line crack across the back it's an easy fix, you could actually build up the fiberglass there a bit to make it a tad stronger, which would help prevent spidering, a bit of body work on the crank to seal it up, and then a minor blend job of painting. End result is a car that looks the same, is paid off, and you even managed to get the Radium kit in there as well which will save money on the fiberglasss repair, and also any future repairs that need clam off.

Frankly I'm almost a bit jealous...20k could go a long way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts