The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Speaking with a plastics engineer for GE I was told that it was a poor choice in the type of plastic that Lotus uses.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Speaking with a plastics engineer for GE I was told that it was a poor choice in the type of plastic that Lotus uses.
Has anyone fabricated aluminum or other base material replacements, other than CF (which is idiotically expensive)?

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
I wouldn't want mine out of aluminum.. it would get dinged by pebbles easily.

The problem is they used unprotected plastic for the part. ANY plastic will degrade over time when exposed to UV.

They should have primed and painted it with UV-resilient automotive paint and clear coat like the rest of the car. That's what I will do when I permanently paint my roof after I remove the wrap in couple more years. In the mean time, I have wrapped the part with Hexis cast vinyl in gloss black.

·
Registered
138 Posts
That's a well known issue. I've had it on my MY2009, Lotus upgraded the parts and they stopped braking. Instead they get bent and come off. That happened on my MY2012. rotfl

Easy repair. New upgraded upgraded parts should be perfect but it took 3+ years to have a good result. Hopefully.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Park Ave Acura/Lotus tells me they ordered A-pillar trims on March 8th and they haven't arrived yet, which must mean there's another owner in the area waiting.

How 'bout we team up for a twice daily "is-it-in-yet?" telephone campaign?

·
Registered
396 Posts
I wonder how much (if at all) several coats of synthetic paint sealant and carnuba might prevent the warping/cracking. Clearly the pieces are still going to expand and contract with temperature variance, but I have to think that a coating with good UV rejection will at a minimum prevent some degradation in the material.

I ordered some EXO from Gtechniq the other day because I've read really good things. By far the most expensive detailing product I've ever tried. However if it lives up to the hype (and perhaps prevents these cracking issues), it will be worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts