The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe I read a previous thread regarding this issue but had no luck retrieving it. Anyway...
I noticed a transverse crack along the pillar, several inches from the top, driver's side. Has anyone had same issue?

·
Premium Member
8,381 Posts
Loose and warped, yes. cracked?? Any mark that would suggest an impact? or someone grabbed it??

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
I believe I read a previous thread regarding this issue but had no luck retrieving it. Anyway...
I noticed a transverse crack along the pillar, several inches from the top, driver's side. Has anyone had same issue?
Many of us have had them Warranty replaced for warping, cracking, and coming loose.
Hopefully, the newer replacements are of a different material, resistant to the elements.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Geoman, can you snap a photo and post this up? I'd like to know what this looks like. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
638 Posts
Yes, both of mine cracked very early on when I first got my Evora. After replacement, I have not had another issue. That said, the rear vented sail panel (between the roof and the back window) is warped and sticking up on the side, which I haven't bothered to take in for warranty replacement yet.

Should be a straightforward warranty claim.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Yes, both of mine cracked very early on when I first got my Evora. After replacement, I have not had another issue. That said, the rear vented sail panel (between the roof and the back window) is warped and sticking up on the side, which I haven't bothered to take in for warranty replacement yet.

Should be a straightforward warranty claim.
My rear roof panel is also warped and loose, but Lotus said that is normal, and did not warranty replace it when they did the A pillars.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Had mine replaced at its first service here. They told me the new ones are made of carbon fiber.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Neither panel (A-pillar, roof panel) should ever be loose. In fact, a loose A-pillar can become dangerous as it can break off at high speed an hit something or someone.

My A-pillars came loose at the front and you guys can't imagine the noise they make at high Autobahn speeds. I immediately taped them down until I got to the dealer where he properly glued the to the windscreen. I also had the roof panel replaced after it showed a small crack, probalby resulting from the clam-off repair I had a year ago.

In any case, its all warranty work.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've had chips in both A-pillars and a crack in the rear roof panel all replaced under warranty. One A-pillar already has a chip in the upper corner. Have a set of CF A-pillars from HKFever waiting to replace the plastic A-pillars, just need to get appropriate adhesive to reattach the door gasket. I wish HKFever made a replacement CF rear roof panel, I could live without the black plastic.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to follow up. I dropped off the car yesterday and the dealership confirmed with Lotus that it is indeed a design flaw and will be replaced under warranty. Should I request that both pillars be replaced?

·
Premium Member
8,381 Posts
It will be same part so if it ain't broke don't fix. That issue can be corrected with a little silicone at base from inside. That way air doesn't get under it etc

·
Registered
808 Posts
I've had both 'a' pillars replaced due to warping. Then a year later, one of the new ones cracked, and they replaced both again.

I've also had the rear roof panel replaced due to warping.

All under warranty.

·
Registered
59 Posts
How ca so much bad sound good?

I've had both 'a' pillars replaced due to warping. Then a year later, one of the new ones cracked, and they replaced both again.

I've also had the rear roof panel replaced due to warping.

All under warranty.
Disturbing to hear of all the problems with pillars. But it also sounds like Lotus and the dealers step up and do the repairs quickly and responsibly. Having just bought a Lotus Evora after battling with Porsche for a year over two astoundingly defective cars this is actually music to my ears. Cars will have faults, it's when the manufacturer fails to stand behind them that can make it a miserable experience. Lotus seems like a pretty good company so far. I love my Evora so far. I have had a couple of minor issues that have been dealt with promptly. So so far, so good. I'll definitely inspect the pillars.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
The problem with the A pillar is temperature related. I followed this thread for 2 years without ever understanding why it happened so often in the US. Until we had a hot summer this year:clap:

Obviously black plastic will expand quite a bit when it gets hot and the Lotus design did not foresee sufficiently for this. So, the pillars either crack or loosen from the window (and then crack).TADTS

I can understand Lotus underestimating this fault. After all the cars are built in cold and damp Brittain. But, they have been generous is getting it fixed. They seem to have updated the pillar a few times, it is in revision D meanwhile.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I can understand Lotus underestimating this fault. After all the cars are built in cold and damp Brittain. But, they have been generous is getting it fixed. They seem to have updated the pillar a few times, it is in revision D meanwhile.
That's good to know. I hope there's not a Revision E, otherwise, I might have to resort to HKfever's carbon fiber solution, after the warranty expires.

And yes, Lotus has been very generous with the warranty. In some ways, I feel a little guilty bringing them to their attention, especially in the case of the peeling headlight clear coat and have them say, yes, we'll replace the headlights for you. This can't be good for their corporate bottom line. I need them to still be around in a few years so I can buy their 2015 Elise.:)

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
I've noticed that some of you in this thread are having "warranty" work done on cars that seem old enough that they should be out of warranty. Is it common practice that Lotus does this kind of work as good will? I ask because one of my pillars, passenger side, is cracked and one of my rear vents are warped.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
I've noticed that some of you in this thread are having "warranty" work done on cars that seem old enough that they should be out of warranty. Is it common practice that Lotus does this kind of work as good will? I ask because one of my pillars, passenger side, is cracked and one of my rear vents are warped.
I've NOT heard of any "Warranty" work being done after the 3 year Warranty Period passes.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.