The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished in stalling Craftsquare mirrors. I have read different opinions and would like to add my thoughts.

First, the mirrors offer much, much more view. Pictures for proof:

Attachments

·
Registered
693 Posts
Nice comparison shots... can't deny those results.

Looks 100% better!

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I hated the old mirrors, the Craftsquare mirrors are the best thing I've bought for the car next to the S/C.
How are these compared to the raceVIEW mirrors offered by Sector 111? Which has better visibility and which ones are better quality overall?

·
Registered
566 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now, as for the directions, they look to be translated from some other tongue. Let's just say at the end of the day, the directions are wanting. the driver's side took about 2 hours. The passenger side took about 15 minutes. Here is the routine I used to make it go smoothly (sorry, I didn't take pictures, but it should be OK):

1. Remover the little tape covers over the three access holes.
2. Figure out which wrenches fit. The directions say one bolt is a star nut, but all 3 were allen wrenches (two 4mm, one 3mm).
3. You will also NEED a thin magnetic fish tape to get the bolts out clean, or to fish them out of the door when they fall :rolleyes:
3. Get three SEPARATE wrenches that will work. So for me I used two 4 mm wrenches and the 3 mm. The wrenches are used to hold things in place while you do other stuff.
4. Loosen all three nuts, but DON'T take them all the way out!
5. Have someone else hold the mirror. With all three wrenches in place pushing all three bolt in location, one by one loosen the bolts but use the wrenches to keep them in place.
6. Remove the mirror, and get your helper to grab an exposed bolt or two to hold them in place. Use the wrenches to hold them too.
7. One by one, have someone hold the bolt from the outside while you remove the wrench and slip the magnetic probe into the hole. When you have the bolt, they let go and you draw it out slowly... Or you drop it :(
8. If you do drop one, you will have to pull the door panel. It is held by 4 allen screws, with a plastic fastener at the lower corner by the hinge. The bottom is held by velcro. Roll the window UP first, or it will be in the way when you try to fish out the bolt(s).
9. Install the new mirrors in reverse: Use the magentic probe to slip the bolt into place, and then grab the threads. You can put a nut on it to hold it. Then put the wrench in place to hold it while you position the mirror. There are only 2 bolts holding the new mirror, so it is slightly easier. It still helps to have someone else hold the wrenches to keep the bolts in place while you frap around with the mirror.
10. You will have to test fit the bolts for size, as they use acorn nuts (no hole) so they must be long enough to thread on but short enough that the nut doesn't bottom out.

I hope this helps. Finished product:

Attachments

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
How are these compared to the raceVIEW mirrors offered by Sector 111? Which has better visibility and which ones are better quality overall?
I've never seen the raceview mirrors in person. From what I've seen on here they look narrower. Looked on S111's site, do they still sell them?

What's the price diff? the Craftsquare mirrors don't mount as flush as if they were made for the car, but it completely eliminates your blind spot. It's especially helpful in the Exige.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I've never seen the raceview mirrors in person. From what I've seen on here they look narrower. Looked on S111's site, do they still sell them?

What's the price diff? the Craftsquare mirrors don't mount as flush as if they were made for the car, but it completely eliminates your blind spot. It's especially helpful in the Exige.
Yeah, they still sell them. It's 400 bucks vs. 575 for the craftsquare.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the Craftsquare mirrors don't mount as flush as if they were made for the car, but it completely eliminates your blind spot. It's especially helpful in the Exige.
the Craftsquares don't look to sit as flush as the raceviews, but they are much narrower than the factory mirrors.

·
Banned
1,348 Posts
The physical mirror looks narrower, but the convex nature of the glass will let you see more. Remember though the more convex the glass is the more distorted objects will look.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wait, raceviews are narrower than stock?
When I say narrower, I mean that the outermost point of the mirror sits much closer to the car than the stock mirrors. The Craftsquare mirrors themselves are much wider than stock. The stock mirrors are just on long arms.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
in my opinion the craftsquares are a much higher quality mirror than the raceviews, and the provide better visibilty. but this is only my opinion

·
Registered
545 Posts
Great use of the site! The mirrors lool great. Thanks for the installed pics and directions.
So at what point does one pat their belly and rub their head during this install?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Finished in stalling Craftsquare mirrors. I have read different opinions and would like to add my thoughts.

First, the mirrors offer much, much more view. Pictures for proof:
What? No weight difference chart?! And you call yourself a Lotus owner. :no:

jk. :) Great post. The craftsquare look awesome! :up: Thanks for the info!

·
Aspen White 'RGB' Exige
523 Posts
in my opinion the craftsquares are a much higher quality mirror than the raceviews, and the provide better visibilty. but this is only my opinion
i'll second that.... i've had both, and even another brand for my first NSX.... and the visibility and clarity of the CRAFTSQUARES are by far better than any of those carbon housing/GT style mirrors i've seen/used

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Great post.

Ive had mine for weeks now. But havent had the time to get the base (BLACK) either powder coated or painted im not sure yet. Depends on if i can get the darn things apart.

But your pics and install help are greatly appreciated!

The car looks great!

-ps. I'll make sure i take down the weight of the stock mirrors and the craftsquare so we know.
The Craftsquare mirror itself is incredibly lightweight and high quality. The base is aluminum and the only part that feels like it weighs anything.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts