The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I liked it. I think a few more rs4 isf comparisons are in order.

Does anyone know the trancy song played during slalom segment?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Craig won his Grand Am. championship with us in 2004. He won it on the last lap of the last race by less than 5 seconds. Actually tied but Craig had more wins. Super guy, great driver, I was glad to be a part of it. You go boy!!!

·
Registered
807 Posts
considering it's an american video, it's pretty damn good.

but i disagree with the test results. i got to drive a prototype IS-F and found it rather 'subtle'. perhaps the biggest issue i had was because they're all automatics.

the RS4 feels much more planted and stable and the handling felt alot more surgical than the IS-F with it's numb overassisted steering and vagueness (common with all Japanese cars). the free reving engine in the RS4 and that exhaust note also are superior. the IS-F is fast, no doubt, but i never felt in control like you do in the RS4. granted i'm an AWD geek so maybe that's the defining line for the difference of opinion.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
ok, I know I won't be popular for saying this, but did anyone think he was their least favorite part of the shootout? He's pretty creepy and flat, no?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I have to agree with his "higher center of gravity" comment about the RS4... I've got a 2004 S4, and I used to have a 2004 330i ZHP... I'd switch between the cars frequently, and if I could take the drivetrain of the Audi and put it in the chassis of the BMW, I would have been a happy man indeed.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Can someone under age 30 explain to me why no driving shot is held for more than 2 seconds? I like his explanations of what was going on but I would have enjoyed seeing the action too. It was like watching one of the awful Speed Channel programs. Give me Top Gear any day.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Peter, who did the narration for that? They should consider getting a real voice actor to narrate it--it'd sound so much more convincing (and you know me, I'm all about VO). I also agree with borat's comments about the lack of actual driving shots. It's nice to see in-car driving commentary, but there was very few actual driving shots. I'd like to see some shenanigan shots of them hanging the tail out like they do on Top Gear and Fifth Gear too.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
honestly if it was any better it would be on TV, hence it was a web show, not a TV show, it was good for what it was

one of the reasons why Jeremy Clarkson still has a job, funny, likes cars, lively, energetic, and a bit smart.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
honestly if it was any better it would be on TV, hence it was a web show, not a TV show, it was good for what it was

one of the reasons why Jeremy Clarkson still has a job, funny, likes cars, lively, energetic, and a bit smart.
Yeah, I think I know too much about production to be objective...but for a one day shoot I think it's pretty amazing what they got. In terms of shots it's all a function of how many cameras, people, money, and time you have. And for internet content I think they did a great job. I can ask them what they do with all the other raw footage of in-car on the track stuff...they must have gobs of it. But remember all these segments are funded by an advertiser so they might have had time restrictions and what not.

Will post pics and perhaps some video when we take the GTR out next week :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
I guess I gave the video a back-handed compliment. It looks incredible professional -- so good that I could easily see it picked up by a broadcast channel. Attribute my comments to creeping old fartdom.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Will post pics and perhaps some video when we take the GTR out next week :)
Man, T.I. and C.H-M got to take the cars out on the track at Reno, and now you get to drive it. I'm jealous! I knew I shouldn't have moved up north! Grrr...:mad:

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dude there's nothin up there move back!!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I have to agree with his "higher center of gravity" comment about the RS4... I've got a 2004 S4, and I used to have a 2004 330i ZHP... I'd switch between the cars frequently, and if I could take the drivetrain of the Audi and put it in the chassis of the BMW, I would have been a happy man indeed.
Try a 335i :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts