The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a friend of mine was looking for a rental in Greenwich, and came across a place on Craigslist that sounded great - actually a little too good...
she contacted the poster and got this in response:

Greenwich, CT 06830 3 Beds/2 Baths and 1200 sq ft.
Rent: 1200$/ month
I have posted the ad for 5 days on Rent.com and also on Craigslist so I don't know exactly were you found my ad, but I am working with Rent.com rental department to rent the place. I have chosen to rent the apartment through this service offered by the rental department which offers a fast and safe way to rent a place by holding and processing payments as a third party. Prior to start posting ads on the Internet, I have signed an agreement with them and also payed all the fees for this service. You don't have to pay any fees at rent.com for this process. Due to the fact that I already payed their fees, used this service for 2 times by now and also feel very comfortable with them I will not bypass this step.
Right now I am working as a hotel manager in Hawaii and decided to rent this apartment. The price in that area for an apartment like this is between $2,700.00 and $2,500.00/month. I'm asking only $1200/month but I need a serious and trust worthy person to rent to. I currently have someone inside (a bookkeeper from a local bank) and he is planning on leaving this week.
I will require payment in advance for every 2 months which means $2,400.00 at every cycle. Rent.com will hold the money for the first cycle until you inspect the apartment and send them your confirmation that you wish to rent. I require the payment in advance at Rent.com because my time is very limited, I don't want to disturb my current tenant as I will not disturb you in case you decide on something positive, and I'm sick of tire-kickers - no offence but the world is full of them and some people are looking for interior design ideas only. I am looking for someone who not only will pay me money but also will take care and preserve my property.
If you're ok with my terms and you wish to proceed please forward me your full name and address and I will pass them onto Rent.com. They will contact you with payment instructions in order to secure the deposit/first cycle. The whole process takes less than a day and I will be contacting you over the phone the very next minute I hear something positive from Rent.com and schedule a meeting so you can inspect the apartment. If you will decide to pass and start looking for another place, Rent.com will return you the money 100% as I will be supporting the fees but I'm sure you will like it as everybody did.
Hope to hear from you soon,
Laurie Bowers

P.S: Utilities included in the rent: water, gas, garbage, Internet, cable/TV and parking for 2 cars.
Available to clean and responsible tenants only. Well-mannered pets considered.
Minimum stay 6 months up to 24 months.
If you want I can attach some pictures with the apartment for you to review.

I advised her against it as it sounds like a scam to me...any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
You advised well. From rent.com's security page:

Click on, "Circumstances hard to believe View example email" under "Examples of Apartment fraud."

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td valign="center">
</td> <td style="padding-left: 10px;" valign="center">Example 3: Hard to believe</td> <td style="padding-left: 10px;" valign="center">back to top</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Dear Sarah,

Happy to hear of your interest. I live in London most of the time and decided to rent this apartment. The typical rent range for an apartment in this area of town is between $2,000.00 and $2,500.00/month. I'm asking only $800/month because I need a serious and trust worthy person who not only will pay me the rent on time but also will take care and preserve my property. I currently have someone inside (an accountant from a local bank) and she is planning on leaving this week.

I will require payment in advance for every 3 months which means $3,000.00 at every cycle. Rent.com will hold the money for the first cycle until you inspect the apartment and send them your confirmation that you wish to rent. I require the payment in advance at Rent.com because my time is very limited, I don't want to disturb my current tenant. I'm sick of tire-kickers, people who are just looking around and not serious about renting.

If you're ok with my terms and you wish to proceed please forward me your full name and address and I will pass them onto Rent.com. They will contact you with payment instructions in order to secure the deposit/first cycle. The whole process takes less than one day and I will be contacting you over the phone the very next minute I hear something positive from Rent.com and schedule a meeting so you can inspect the apartment. If you will decide to pass and start looking for another place, Rent.com will return you the money 100% as I will be supporting the fees but I'm sure you will like it as everybody else did.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Patrick Barnett

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks...

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Shameless, lazy, and what's worse, uncredited ripoff of the orig. letter. ;) Scammers are getting lazier and lazier... :wallbang:

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll bet he is the kind of person that reposts all the time:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts