The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been riding since 1987. Until April of this year, I hadn't dropped a bike since 1992!

Last night, I dropped the MV again. Low speed manuvering in a parking lot. Rode over a fallen palm tree branch and the bike slide. Bad judgment and my fault.

I broke the very edge of the break lever and have some very small scratches on the right fairing, which now complements the scratches on the left fairing when I tipped it over at a gas station in April.

Objectively speaking both scratches are very minor - subjectively speaking

After 14 years, I drop the same bike twice!

I've decided to take the MV to L.A. during Labor Day weekend and put it on consignment with Pro Italia Motorcycles in Glendale. They've just become an MV dealer and don't have any MVs just yet.

This mean my only mode of transportation will my the '04 R1, since I turn in my Boxster this weekend. Lotus, I need that Elise STAT!!!! :(

·
Registered
758 Posts
But other than your ego, you weren't injured ?

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Ouch...

Sorry to hear that. Are you going to get another bike after you sell the MV?

edit: nevermind, I didn't read your post all the way through to see that you have an R1.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Gromit said:
But other than your ego, you weren't injured ?
No, but I couldn't seem to find some things after I dropped the bike. I seem to have lost my concentration and confidence. :p

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Just so we are all aware of the little things in life, and I appologize if I am stating something said previously on the list, but MV Agusta has sold controling interest as of the begining of August to PROTON which means they'll be testing/ designing Augusta bikes at Hethel! I wonder if a MV tuned by Lotus is far off?:huh:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
No, but I couldn't seem to find some things after I dropped the bike. I seem to have lost my concentration and confidence. :p
That's not the result of dropping your bike, it's what you smoked after that did that :)

Glad to here you're ok.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
zvezdah1 said:
Or.....being hit by a hummer!
Chris
True, but then I'd just be happy to be a live. ;) Hmm, since when I turn into such a pessimist? :D

The damages really minor, but I'm taking it as a sign that the time's come to sell the MV.

Wallabyguy, yes, Proton did buy a portion (I'm not sure exactly how much) of MV Agusta, which is great. Prior to that MV was in serious financial trouble. 2002 was really the last consistent model year. A few F4S were produced in 2003. I don't think there was a 2004 F4S -just the SPR and Brutale.

But for 2005, MV's coming out with a 1000cc version. Confidence is up and I noticed two more dealers in Southern California have become MV dealerships. So, hopefully with Proton owning a part of MV, they improved reliability, parts, and maybe even go racing. :)

Here's a snap shot of the 2005 F4 1000S. It's easily distinguishable from the 750cc version by the label that says "1000." :p

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
huggy bear said:
Rode a friend's Mille the other day. Ever consider one of those?
I like the new Mille, but unfortunately, they feel too large for me.
I like the MV and Ducatis because they are narrow. But right now, my focus is on the Elise. Hopefully, mine will be here in two months.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Had a Mille R same time had my 996. The mille was a much more user friendly daily rider kind of bike, but felt very japanese, ie very wide, just a big feeling bike. Whereas of course, the 996 is a very petite but purposeful looking bike, if I could only have one motorcycle, itd be the mille.
Chris

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Here's a image of the broken lever. I may order customer aluminum replacement brake and clutch levers.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Here's one of the MV and R1 when the R1 was a day old. No chicken strip jokes. There are gone now.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Beautiful bike! BTW, I would just do without the end of your brake handle. Just ride it as-is until you get a new lever. You still have plenty of handle left to use.

Bob

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
You probably don't need to be told this, but here I go anyway. Go ahead and use the lever but grind off the sharp edges at the break. I tore a new pair of jeans (put a hole in my leg too, but it healed, unlike the pants) stumbling around in a dark garage with a clutch lever broken the same way.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
It hurt to read your post, it made me flinch as I've been there, dropped my 996 when I got cut off coming out of a gas station, grabbed brakes, the bike stopped, the CG went over, I had poor footing and gently layed it down with minor fairing scratches. Definite URGH moment. Glad you're ok and glad you didn't bruise the tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts