The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone give me a crash course on bmw's or a link to a quick understanding guide to them..there are too many diffrent moddels and i dont know which is which, i mean we got a 330xi, 330i, 328x, 325i, 335i, 328i, ect ect.. im planing on going to a new collage starting the 08 year and going to get my MBA. my plans are to get something new(ish), sporty, and ok to great mpg. im going to be comuting but its only a 20-30 minute drive away from home. so far all i know is that the 335 is the turbo model...

any help would be great. and i know some are going to say drive a beater to school and get a nice car when im out, and i do intend to buy a nice new car when i do get out but my beater car caught on fire on st. patricks day and the car im driving now wont last long enough plus i cant stand driving a coupe anymore(to many friends, not enought back seat space)

thank you.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
can anyone give me a crash course on bmw's or a link to a quick understanding guide to them..there are too many diffrent moddels and i dont know which is which, i mean we got a 330xi, 330i, 328x, 325i, 335i, 328i, ect ect.. im planing on going to a new collage starting the 08 year and going to get my MBA. my plans are to get something new(ish), sporty, and ok to great mpg. im going to be comuting but its only a 20-30 minute drive away from home. so far all i know is that the 335 is the turbo model...

any help would be great. and i know some are going to say drive a beater to school and get a nice car when im out, and i do intend to buy a nice new car when i do get out but my beater car caught on fire on st. patricks day and the car im driving now wont last long enough plus i cant stand driving a coupe anymore(to many friends, not enought back seat space)

thank you.
Try a late model M3. You could get a mid to late 90s one for less than 15k with decent miles.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts

thank you.
Basically:

3##: ## is engine size (30 is 3.0L, 28 is 2.8L), the exception is the 335

3##i: i by itself means 4-door

3##ci: c means convertible or coupe (2-door)

3##xi: 4-door all-wheel-drive

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series

I owned a 2004 330i ZHP (with the Performance Package)... consistently got > 20mpg, even driving hard. On the highway easily > 30mpg.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
You're getting your MBA but still can't spell "college?"

Here is the info you desire. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series#E46
I agree on your first point. Initially, I took it as though he was making a 3-series collage.

But on the info, he's not referring to the E46, but he'd be looking at an E90 (sedan), E92 (coupe), or E93 (convertible).

As far as the designations are concerned, the 325 and 330 are no longer made. They were replaced by the 328 and 335. The letter i applies to all RWD models and xi signifies AWD. Both the 328 and 335 are 3L engines putting out 230 and 300 hp, respectively. Those are your basics.

For more info, check out BMW's website as suggested above or go to a site like www.e90post.com or www.bimmerfest.com.

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Basically:

3##: ## is engine size (30 is 3.0L, 28 is 2.8L), the exception is the 335

3##i: i by itself means 4-door

3##ci: c means convertible or coupe (2-door)

3##xi: 4-door all-wheel-drive

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_3_Series

I owned a 2004 330i ZHP (with the Performance Package)... consistently got > 20mpg, even driving hard. On the highway easily > 30mpg.
A few corrections... the 328i (E90) has a 3.0L engine and was formerly called the 330 prior to the 335 release. The nomenclature you spelled out was for the E46, if we're talking E90, they axed the "c" for coupes. The "i" actually means fuel injected.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
A few corrections... the 328i (E90) has a 3.0L engine and was formerly called the 330 prior to the 335 release. The nomenclature you spelled out was for the E46, if we're talking E90, they axed the "c" for coupes. The "i" actually means fuel injected.
Wow, strange that after all the years where the last two digits represented displacement, they'd go batty like that :shrug:.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Wow, strange that after all the years where the last two digits represented displacement, they'd go batty like that :shrug:.
Marketing. The E46 323i had a 2.5L engine, while the 328i had a 2.8L engine. By making it sound like there was a bigger difference, it helped buyers justify the extra expense of the 328i over the 323i. Once they went to a 330i, it was then OK to call it a 325i. I know...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Happenstance.

It was never entirely accurate and BMW themselves state that.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Happenstance.

It was never entirely accurate and BMW themselves state that.
Are you saying it was entirely a coincidence that dozens of BMW model numbers (3's, 5's, 6's, 7's, 8's) included the engine displacement as the last two digits? What are the odds of that? -poke-

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I think he meant that they didn't always exactly match displacement (again, I think marketing plays a part). In other words, like the instances I cited, the 745i had a 4.4L engine and the 750i has a 4.8L. 744i and 748i just don't have that same ring.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Are you saying it was entirely a coincidence that dozens of BMW model numbers (3's, 5's, 6's, 7's, 8's) included the engine displacement as the last two digits? What are the odds of that? -poke-
Yes, according to BMW, they make no effort to correlate the model number suffix with engine displacement - it's marketing.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You're getting your MBA but still can't spell "college?"
lol sorry when i type/write fast i usually make spelling errors and unless i have to i don't usually use spell check or correct any grammatical errors.

and i think apk919 got the info i was trying to figure out the most. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Ok here's the breakdown.
The first digit in this case 3 is the series. The second two numbers are not the displacement but what the engine output is comparable to. The 328 is a 3.0 engine but makes the power a 2.8 liter would make which is why it makes 255 and not 265 like the 330. The 335 is a 3.0 but makes the power of a 3.5. The i stands for injection. Ci stands for coupe injection. CSi stands for coupe sport injection. CSL is coupe sport lightweight. CiC is coupe injection convertible. X is for xdrive which is our all wheel drive drivetrain. E was used back in the days which stood for economy but those cars were garbage. The newest designation will be for the X cars (X3,X5,X6) which will be xdrive50i and xdrive30i. On top of all that you can add d which means diesel. The last of the designations is tii which is a performance version of the 2002 and the 1 series concept. I think that covers everything.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
They've done that several times over the years in the 3-series, at least. There were a number of 323, 325 and 328 models that had engine displacements different than the model designation indicated.

Then there was the 745 which was a turbocharged version of the 735 back before the V8 days.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts