The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Elise actually was crash tested here in the states? I know they got the bumper exemption, but I was wondering if they actually ran them into a wall.

I'd like to know how the car ranked and such if they actually did (even though it breaks my heart our government does that type of thing to such works of art).

Thanks.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I havn't seen any formal data, but secondhand reports said the car did *extremely* well. There's really no reason to suspect otherwise - its light weight is a great advantage in crash testing.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
They couldn't sell the car if it was not crash tested right? I.e. the Porsche 959, my understanding is that this is the reason it was not sold in the US.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
From Michael Sands interviews at the LA show:

How does it stack up in crash testing?*
Very well, apparently. They crashed a car, then thought about getting a waiver on the front end crash structure. The tests were so definitive that the car passed. There were no specific figures given.
That is not to say it will be inexpensive to fix the car after an accident. The crash test did not affect the tub, however if the tub were damaged, it would need to be replaced. Repair costs are roughly the same as those required for a BMW or similar car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts