The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
k24 swapper
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been thinking about ways to make this turbo thing work without molesting the car too much, for resale purposes down the line.

Would it be feasible to add the turbo and a2w intercooler inline with the existing oil cooler system?
My initial thought is to have everything in the engine bay, leaving the single stock oil cooler up front to do its thing.
From the output of the cooler, would supply the intercooler with relatively cool oil, then it would go to the engine in its normal fashion, then go to the turbo, then back to the cooler.
I assume I will need to place a scavenge pump inline to get the oil out of the turbo and to the cooler. Just that extra oomph to overcome the new pressure loads in the system. Maybe add a dual oil filter system too.
Is this a good idea?

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts
OK I will reply. The answer is no oil is not a great heat transfer agent as it retains too much heat. As for turbo charging there is a ton of info on the "Forced induction forum" Please grab a 6 pack of beer and read for 4 hours, this will give you a better idea of what is involved. You may find there are easier ways to get performance you want. Check back with knowledge and you will get support. Tommy

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,979 Posts
I agree, this will likely be a bad idea. If it was this simple I think lots of OEM's would do this already due to simplicity & cost reductions. There are 2 large problems I see:

1.) Specific heat: Oil has about half the specific heat capacity as water. This means the oil will heat up much quicker than water or EGW thus decreasing the heat transfer capability.

2.) Viscosity: Oil is much more viscous than water or EGW. This means that pumping it will be difficult. Note that a typical water (or EGW) system will flow ~10+ liters per minute (from my experience). It would be difficult to move that much oil. Reduced oil flow will result in lower heat transfer as well...

So while a neat concept, in the real world it isn't very practical.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
the main problem with using the engine oil circuit is that the oil will be way above ambient and possibly even above the pre cooled charge temp. Might as well just use the regular coolant circuit at that point.

The front heat exchaingers would make fine radiatiors for an A/W setup in my opinion. It has been discussed many times. Just add a rear oil radiator, either air to oil or oil to coolant (lamnova).

Then just use the stock oilcooleres as water radiators for an A/W setup. Should work fabulously.

·
Registered
640 Posts
You can use BOE's solution and run a closed loop in a separate circuit.
He puts the a2w rads over the passenger rear wheels and circulates the coolant through
a separate reservoir/pump combo. Completely independant of the stock system. Pretty slick!

·
Premium Member
1,413 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Your first question should be - "how much boost am I going to run" or "what power level am I looking for"

One you answer that question, then you can worry about how to build the system properly.

Trying to build a system around an intercooler is not the best way to go about it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts