The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking that when I finally get my Elise, I'll paint the rear diffuser black (like a 360 and Enzo's, see attached picture) and perhaps even the rear portion of the silver heat shield around the muffler so that it doesn't show through the license plate surround.

Is this mad?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's the difference between that and ordinary high-heat paint and is it something I can do myself? Is it expensive?

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Supporting Vendor
4,146 Posts
A great look. I'd paint your wheels to match to complete the look. Your Elise will look quite sinister!

BTW: Carbon Fiber versions of the diffuser will also become available.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
shinoo said:
A great look. I'd paint your wheels to match to complete the look. Your Elise will look quite sinister!

How much lighter will the CF one be compared to the factory one?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
MickOpalak said:
What's the difference between that and ordinary high-heat paint and is it something I can do myself? Is it expensive?
I think that would look great!

Powder coating is a coating services and finishing services technology in which dry paint particles are electrostatically charged and applied to a grounded part. Electrostatic attraction holds powder particles on the part surface until heat is added to flow the powder together and cure it.

Some advantages over paint would be a more durable finish. (I think polyeurathane resin base would be better suited for this application versus expoy resin base due to more elasticity). Powder coating gives an extremely even finish (no flow issues). More environmentally friendly since only the necessary the layer of particles adheres to the object and the stuff that falls off can be reused. You don't have as many of the toxins that paints emit.

edit:

It wouldn't be feasible to do it yourself. I have received quotes to powder coat the LSS wheels $60-$70 per wheel (polyeurthane) so for the diffuser I would guess $100-$125. dunno.

·
Registered
394 Posts
shinoo said:

After looking over the car very well in Houston last weekend I learned that replacing any of the bonded aluminum parts (which are also riveted) is going to be a real poor decision. The rear diffuser is bonded to the car. While you may gain weight advantage, you might also loose some rigidy.

PS, I already have a carbon fiber clam, trunk lid, and I am working overtime to finish up some other carbon parts for the fed Elise!

Adam P
www.lotuswerks.com

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Adam,
The rear diffuser is completely removeable, in fact you have to remove it even to change the oil.

One of the UK companies is offering a quick release kit which replaces the bolts with dzus fasteners.

Chris

·
Registered
394 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Adam,
The rear diffuser is completely removeable, in fact you have to remove it even to change the oil.

One of the UK companies is offering a quick release kit which replaces the bolts with dzus fasteners.

Chris
I could be calling the rear diffuser something different then it actually is? The part I am talking about has the red bonding agent on it with a few rivits, thus it cant be what this thread is refearing too. In that case I am wrong and or confused, neither of which is new!!!!

Moving on: With a car like this one, any thing that can be "quick release" can be stolen, wrongly used, or simply engeneered wrong. I think that with a car like this, a few screws or nuts to remove the diffuser to do an oil change is well worth the security of that diffuser staying on the car, or slowing down a thef for another 3 minuets! And I would be curious what the CF diffuser will weight in comparision to the alum. one on the car!

Adam P....

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Adam,
FYI, the rear diffuser is the the alum panel in the back underside (like an undertray) and has the two exhaust pipes exiting on the US car.

As to the quick release kit, quick is relative, it'd still take a good ten minutes to pull them off. And as they'r dzus fasteners as used in racing, shouldnt be much chance of them falling off.

BTW>What's the price on the cf clam and deck lid anticipated to be?
Thanks

Chris

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
One of the advantages of DZUS style fasteners for racing, is not just that they offer easier assembly and disassembly, but that they are captive. They don't fall out like a nut/bolt.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,146 Posts
MickOpalak said:
How much lighter will the CF one be compared to the factory one?
I don't have the weight differences yet. Don't expect to save too much. It frankly is a more cosmetic upgrade - but I guess every little savings adds up!

Chris is right, the rear diffuser is NOT a structural piece.

Regarding timing, we should have them by the time the first batch of cars arrives. I am headed to England in March to firm up supply and pricing issues.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts