The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving home today and when I pulled up in my driveway I noticed that my Elise was making a creaking sound when my brake was pressed. I pulled into the garage and pumped the brakes a few times and it's really creaky. I stepped outside the car and reached in to press the brake and can hear it coming from both my front wheels. I washed the wheels to make sure no debris was in there and then drove a few blocks trying out the brakes. They worked fine however they seemed slightly tighter as though I didn't have to press as far in as normal. Plus they both still creak like crazy. Any ideas what would cause this? I had new pads put on at the dealer about 6 months ago and they've been working fine until now.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
A brake fluid flush wouldn't do any harm.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Sector 111 Ultra Disc rotors are floating rotors. They may make noise normally, however if your caliper pistons were not sliding equally, then the pistons can push the rotor to one side, which can be bad. Floating rotors are designed to be pushed from both sides equally!

Also when they changed your pads, they might have pushed the pistons back in the caliper by levering on the rotor. This is also BAD! You never want to pry on a floating rotor! If the dealer tech didn't know this, then they may have done some damage to the floating rotor system....

Could also be that your pads aren't sliding easily. You may need any corrosion cleaned off and the sliding surfaces lubricated.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vulcan you were correct, there was some corrosion on them and they needed to be lubricated. No more creaking. Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts