The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I decided that I would try making a build thread for my 2006 Elise that I purchased a couple months ago (which I made a previous post about). I took the car to get a full fluid service, and inspection shortly after I purchased it and it's been running great (shout out to Turbohoses in Livermore and Trackspec in Fremont for having great/knowledgeable people and being great shops. Lucky to have them here in NorCal).

One thing I immediately noticed when I got the car was that the speaker/sound quality was not great. The previous owner already replaced the front speakers when I got the car, but the rear speakers also seemed to be dead. He had also purchased replacement rear speakers, but didn't get to install them before I purchased the car so he gave them to me so I could install them later. I finally got around to installing the rear speakers and it makes a huge difference! I didn't think that a simple speaker install would make listening to music in the car so much more enjoyable. Part of the improvement mostly comes from the fact that the rear speakers were probably dead and that these new ones are a decent upgrade.

The brand the previous owner went with was Kicker and he already installed the 4" speakers in the front so I just installed the 5.25" ones in the rear. The driver side was pretty easy with the seat moved all the way forward. Passenger side was more tricky as I didn't want to remove the seat. Luckily I had a small screw driver tip that I was able to use to get the speakers out and with some clever hand positioning I was able to get the old speaker out and the new one in without removing the seat 馃榿. I have attached some pictures of the speakers and the screwdriver tip I used for reference during the install. Down the road I may install an amp, but I'll probably do that when I switch out the head unit and add a reverse camera in the next few months.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Motor vehicle Gadget Automotive tire Goggles Camera lens
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Grille
Automotive tire Gas Carbon Audio equipment Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Bottle cap Rim Gas Measuring instrument
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Hood Liquid Automotive tire Automotive design
Tire Hand Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle tire
Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Some little things that I have already done-I got RLS extendview mirrors for better blind spot visibility, I got front clam skid protectors from SirLotus (these are awesome btw), I changed the engine air filter out and put in a K & N, I changed the coolant reservoir out for a new one (Toyota OEM) since it was yellowing and brittle, got the Inokinetic darthholder, sillsack and bootie, and I swapped out the fan control module since I had the engine cut out issue with the AC on (this fixed it).

Next on the list is replacing the clutch because I just noticed it slipping last week :cry:. That will be getting replaced most likely next week by Turbohoses in Livermore. While they have the transmission out I'm also having them replace the synchros (since second gear is grinding at high rpms even with double clutching and throttle blipping), and I'm also having them install the taller sixth gear for lower rpms when highway cruising.

Right after I need to replace the shocks and do a suspension refresh as recommended by Trackspec since during the suspension they noticed that a lot of the suspension components were pretty worn. For shocks I'm probably going to go with the Racetech single adjustable suspension from Inokinetic since it seems to be the most cost effective in that I can reuse my old springs, the rebuild cost down the line is cheaper, and this car is a street car/daily driver.

At some point in between these services I want to install an HID kit for my lowbeams and LED's for the high beams and reaim them since the stock lightbulbs leave much to be desired. I'll probably look into the reverse camera and headunit (probably going with a Joying 7" single din for this) after these more immediate concerns. I also need to replace the radiator and coolant hoses because although there are no leaks they will crack eventually (they are OEM) and it is good to do preventative maintenance. Exhaust, although would transform the sound of the car, comes after these more pressing issues. The rest of what I decide to do will go from here (e.g. Inokinetic shifter, nicer and lighter wheels, replacing the headlight lens and housing, baffled oil pan, digital dash, paint correction and PPF, supercharger (OEM most likely cause CARB), GRP tail lights, other cosmetic stuff like a Difflow Diffuser and Exige style wing etc. the list goes on).

Thanks for reading, feel free to leave other suggestions/thoughts and I'll try to keep this thread updated as I go. Next update will probably be my thoughts when the clutch/taller sixth gear is installed.

~Cris

Registered
Maybe I missed it. But if your already in there, a lightened flywheel really livens up the car.

Also, good call on 6rh gear!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I missed it. But if your already in there, a lightened flywheel really livens up the car.

Also, good call on 6rh gear!
Gotcha! I鈥檒l talk to them about what they recommend for a lightened flywheel. Do you have any recommendations?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey, thought I would give an update on where everything is. The shop told me they wouldn't be ready for me to drop off the car until the second week of January, so I got a little while longer until then. In the meantime I got this Android 10.0 Car Radio for 6.2" Single Din Head Unit with Physical Buttons as a Christmas gift so I thought I would go about installing it.
Gas Space Plastic Packing materials Plastic bag

Removal of the stock radio was a bit of a pain even with the specific removal U hook tools. I had to use the tools along with a flat head screwdriver to pry the old radio out since the release mechanisms were a little finicky when just using the tools by themselves. There wasn't any wiring associated with the install in regards to re-pinning the harness. The harness provided was plug and play and I just had to install the GPS antenna for navigation and mount it behind the dash. A picture of the harness below.

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Electrical wiring Bumper

The headunit comes with the ability to use bluetooth or wired apple car play. I wanted to use wired car play for better sound quality/connection (for apple music and waze) and so that my phone can charge while I use it. This part was another PITA because I really did not want to remove the dash. What I did to get around this was wiring the apple USB cord to the left side of the dash and having it come out of the dash panel next to the right of the climate panel below the steering wheel column. I had to be pretty dexterous in order to fit my hand behind the dash through the radio opening and trying to get the cord to exit through the panel. After some trial and error I was able to get it through 馃榿

Arm Human body Gesture Bumper Finger

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior

It also came with a microphone (I don't know how useful it will actually be), but I decided to mount it anyways. I did the same thing for the microphone cable and routed it the same way. I velcroed it to the steering column and will see how effective it is (probably won't be).

Camera lens Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Flash photography

After I cleaned up the wiring on the headunit with zip ties, and I cleaned up the apple phone cord by taping it just above the climate controls to make it more organized. The screen covers the tape, so it's not really a problem aesthetically.

Vehicle Automotive design Car Steering part Personal luxury car

I mounted the headunit with the stock placement and it worked! I may try mounting it one position higher, but for now it does the job. Wired carplay works flawlessly (make sure to use the top OTG USB port) and you can customize the background and boot logo to the Lotus logo.

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive lighting Vehicle Steering part Steering wheel Gadget

Cloud Automotive lighting Vehicle Sky Audio equipment

The headunit itself sits pretty flush with the dash and I like how it fits without blocking the vents and the AC controls. I didn't have any problems with making the screen fit with the position it came with, may be different if I try one notch higher but probably not. Overall I'm just happy to have carplay and a slightly more powerful headunit. If I really want to go crazy with sound quality I might install an amp later on. I'm also probably going to install the reverse camera sometime soon as well since it has a connection for it.

The next update for this build thread will probably be the clutch/synchros/6th gear ratio when it gets into the shop the second week of January. After that will be suspension (finally about to order my Racetech SSCAs).

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ordered the racetech scca single adjustable suspension. Inokinetic sold their last set just before my order so they said it should ship in a couple weeks. It鈥檒l probably get tackled after the clutch in two weeks.
I was wondering what settings would be recommend for street/daily driving? I asked Shinoo and he said they recommend 20 clicks from hard, but he runs 18 for his car for a more sporty feel. I wanted to get some other opinions as well.
I鈥檓 probably going to keep the stock ride height which I believe is 130 mm front and 135 mm rear?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts