The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rather than me calling Tom every 15 minutes asking if the elise has shown up yet, I will be calling back at about 2pm or so to see. But if anyone else talks to him before that point and the car has arrived, could you post up something saying the car is here?

(and a private message to me would be nice too ;) )

It was due to arrive anytime between yesterday and tomorrow, but they are closed tomorrow... They do not have the driver's number, otherwise they would have a definite time for its arrival.

Scot

·
Registered
104 Posts
I spoke to one of the other sales guys there today (not Tom). He said the dealer who has it now won't let it go (what a surprise?) Maybe by the end of the week. This waiting is getting harder by the day!

Steve

·
Registered
549 Posts
Figures....

I'm heading down early today to Turks and Caicos for 10 days of diving and the Elise shows up at Criswell. Oh well... you guys have fun and take notes! and pics! Enjoy....:D

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Just called up Criswell. I am going down there Saturday at 3 PM for my test drive. Will take pics. Tom said the waiting list is about 75 people.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do you think they will let someone that doesn't have a deposit but is interested in putting one down test drive it? Especially someone who is only 21? I currently drive a miata so its not like i would be a young punk in a ricer civic wanting a joyride. I really want to put a deposit down soon but would only do so after getting to drive the car even if its not a long drive.

Thanks,
Nate

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Why not ask them?

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
Nate,

They will absolutely let you drive it. If you are serious about buying the car you have every right to drive it. Good luck.

- J

PS: The only exception might be a dealer not allowing anyone to drive it and only giving test-rides...

·
Registered
61 Posts
what about if you have a down payment at another lotus dealership? I live in NOVA and my d/p is in NJ. Any one have the number handy so i can them?

thanx,
jeremy

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I don't have a deposit down yet. Tom had no problem with me coming in for a test drive with no deposit. If I like the way it looks in person, then I will put down $500 deposit. I think (as in most cars) certain angles make the elise kind of weird looking. But certain angles make it kick ass. So, I need to see it in person to determine if I am willing to buy it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just spoke with some one at Criswell, it looks like I will be haveing my test drive sometime early next week, i am thinking either monday or tuesday evening.

The guy I spoke with also said that they will have it until next Friday or so.

I cant wait, do they let you drive it or just ride along, either way i am taking my camcorder.

jeremy

·
Registered
549 Posts
Hi all from Provenciales in Turks/Caicos>>>

I am really jealous you guys are going to drive the Elise...tell Tom to hold onto car until Nov 5 ;) Great weather and beautiful water...85 air and 82 water temps... Boy you would not want an Elise down here...main 'highway' is rougher than a goat path and potholes that make the metro DC ones look like small inconveniences :) Anyway take those pics and post those impressions since I will have to live vicariously thru you all for the test drive.
Later...
Michael

·
Registered
104 Posts
:) :) I drove the Elise today at Criswell - all I can say is WOW! The car (a euro spec 111 w/160 hp) was quite quick, and handling was phenomenal (I was expecting this). It is the closest thing to a formula car.. no wait.. this thing is a formula car in Lotus guise! I was fortunate to find an empty parking lot to see how the car handles the low speed stuff - other than the slight understeer and grip limits, its amazing, extremely stable and balanced.

My only recommendation to those driving it is take a narrow pair of shoes - my standard width dress shoes got hung up a couple of times going from accelerator to brake (but the pedals are in great position for heel/toe maneuvers).

I did note that the brakes seemed to be toast - there was a distinct smell of brake pad even when the car was cool, and it took quite a bit of pedal to get reasonable stopping distances. Based on what others have said, I expect this car needs to have its brakes serviced.

I do hope Lotus addresses the seating position a little better - I thought I was in an Italian sports car for a minute! The seat was comfortable, but I found either my arms were stretched too far when my legs were comfortable or my knees rubbed the steering wheel when my arms are comfortable.

The said the car will be there until next Friday. Those with deposits get first crack at driving it.

Steve

:D

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I also drove the car today at Criswell... I second all that was said... A totally amazing car! Was a little tough for me to climb in with the top on (I'm 6'2), but once in, I was very comfortable. I liked the close spacing of the pedals, it made it very easy to toe/heel. I was lucky to have no traffic in front of me for a winding stretch of road several miles long, and Tom let me open it up. Wow! I still have perma-grin. The heated brakes may have been my fault... sorry!

Turn in was crisp, ride was smooth but you could still feel the road VERY well. Steering was very light and responsive, easier to turn than a power assisted unit, except while sitting still, and even then not bad.

It was well worth the four hour drive each way for the test.

Tom was very helpful, and is mostly playing PR guy for this week or two while they have the car. He sure didn't have any time to do any car sales from the looks of it today...just taking people on the lists for drives. I want to add that he let me take it while knowing that I'm already on the list for Austin... no benefit to him.
I can't feel TOO sorry, though, he gets to ride around in this car all day! :D

Got to meet a couple folks from the forum here, too. We all had similar opinions about this car. TTowsonTT had serious permagrin when he pulled back in... looked like this...:D :D :D

Anyways...I took a mess of pics, I'll get them developed and put them up here. I hope they come out well...

Cade
:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I took the car for a spin on thursday night. Just down great seneca, nothing too terribly special but then again there aren't any terribly good roads around there.

The seats are very comfortable. The steering wheel is perfect. The view is tremendous. The shifter feels like warm butter with a few crumbs floating through it that you have to hit to get it in gear. I think its been a BIT abused ;) We should have a better shifter in the USA version.

<-- #79

BTW: I counted 11 people waiting and looking at the car when I left. Wow.

·
Registered
61 Posts
just wondering what color is the car? i will find out monday afternoon at 4.

Also how long did they let you take it out for.

I am just wondering how traffic will be on a monday afternoon. but i will prolly get there alittle before 4 though since i am coming from Roslynn.

-Jeremy

·
Registered
104 Posts
Here is the picture of the car you will be driving...

I think I drove the car for 10-15 minutes. A spin up I270, then the salesman was kind enough to point me to an empty parking lot a mile away. There may be better roads to try, I did my drive at lunchtime on Friday.

Steve Brown

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts