The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my Crono Magnesios stripped and repainted years ago and they have never left the garage but.... the paint is lifting from magnesium corrosion. My wheel guy says that the products needed to do the job were outlawed. The only way he knows to deal with it would be to strip an anodize the wheels somehow. Does anyone know a shop that has a successful process to refinish these wheels?
Thanks,
Guy

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
The problem is that the magnesium aluminum alloy will oxidize very quickly in oxygen. If you strip the paint, then it'll oxidize right away before you can paint them. Higher temps will make it worse. You should probably use a chromate conversion coating like they use on aircraft. Like Alodine or Magnadyne. That will convert the oxides so they don't hurt the adhesion. the Alodine also helps promote adhesion of an epoxy coating.

This link has good info.
https://stevekouracos.com/restoration/tips-and-tricks/aluminum-magnesium-wheel-restoration/

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
You have to find a place that really knows what they are doing. Magnesium is a difficult metal to work with. You must also take steps to prevent hydrogen embrittlement. Maybe the right way to go is to send them back to the original manufacturer and have them do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts