The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Greetings,

I have an 05 Elise which sat unused for well over a year and a half which I recently purchased (only 18K miles on her). Unfortunately it started leaking transmission/gear oil after only 700 or so miles of use. I discovered it's leaking from behind the gear / cross shaft where it goes into the transfer case. After pulling off the external gear selector linkage it appears that the polished surface of the shaft itself is extremely rusted due to water which must have gotten in and sat there for quite a while. Any ideas/suggestions as to how I can change (minimally) the outer seal - more ideally replace the shaft and seal? Does the transmission have to come out in order to replace this shaft (I suspect, yes). I foresee this as being a chronic problem with my car if I simply change the seal as the machined surface of the gear shaft is ruined. I tried calling a Toyota dealer to just get seal but w/o a Toyo VIN# was unsuccessful.

I paid for access to Toyota EU and downloaded the C64 manual (RM930E) and the shift /select lever shaft looks different than mine as there is no 4-bolt assembly which can be removed to allow the entire shaft mechanism to come out of the transfer case. I am not sure which Toyo transmission this is.

Any help is appreciated - thnx. - Rob

·
Registered
362 Posts
The shaft can easily be removed in the car. No additional disassembly required, just put the trans in neutral remove the gold detent assembly directly above the shaft and remove the 4-bolt cover at the other end of the shaft. It'll slide out toward the rear of the car.

We stock that seal ($4) and shaft ($175). Let me know if we can help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts