The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone redone their cross shaft seals on the Renault gearbox?

I see wetness on both sides of the seals on mine. It looks like a pretty easy job from the manual (section FG page 17).

It is as easy as it looks? It's not clear to me from the manual what parts I should order in advance (new rear housing seal, roll pins, bellows, split collet set)?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom!

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,758 Posts
It's a common repair, not difficult in theory, but can be frustrating to be performed successfully in practice, so I'm told.

You need a proper Lotus seal driver (one that is the correct size, and has the correct "step" to properly position the seal, not to deep or too shallow). Then there is the technique-sensitive Roll Pin Insertion :p that has caused anguish to many owners....

If you are not successful searching the 'net for the particulars (try Lotus Esprit World or the Lotus Forums) I'm sure Jim or someone could give you the Blow-by-Blow. :clap:

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you thinking about the half shaft seals or the cross shaft?

The cross shaft is at the back of the gearbox where the shift linkage connects to the gearbox.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
That seal doesn't do very much. I would clean the area up, check the vent and make sure you do not overfill the transmission. Keep an eye on it and if it is really bad then replace it.
David Teitelbaum

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!

I can't find the location of the gearbox vent in the manual. Can you describe its location?

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
You can see some photos of when I replaced my cross-shaft seal here, though a V8 will have the seal on the opposite side, and the 1998+ cars have the more direct shifting mechanism... Some of this will look similar...

https://picasaweb.google.com/116113253735518541549/LotusClutchAndTranny

The vent is a plastic plug seen here, to the right of the bolt, and left of the clutch fork.

Your V8 will have the clutch fork in a different location.

Just don't lose the balls!

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. That does help. The V8 is very different though. There are 2 seals since the shaft comes out the other side on mine, while yours is just out of one side.

The vent seems clear on mine.

I am going to keep an eye on how much it weeps before I do anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts