The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I encountered my first decent cross wind today.

It's been pretty windy here in Ventura County today, probably gusting up to 30 - 40 mph at times. I was driving down a long straight section of road that was bordered on both sides by a large expanse of flat and open space (Las Posas to PCH for those local to Ventura County). I had a 45 - 60 degree cross wind (my 2 o'clock) coming in off the ocean. When I hit 80 - 85 mph, the crosswind was definitely affecting the Elise, and I was having to continuously make steering adjustments.

It never reached the point where I felt too uncomfortable, but at the same time it was no longer a relaxing or enjoyable drive. Also, I noticed the front end definitely felt 'lighter' during the strongest gusts.

I guess this is one of the downsides of a lightweight car. Anyone else had a similar experience ?

·
Registered
637 Posts
biobaggie said:
I encountered my first decent cross wind today.

It's been pretty windy here in Ventura County today, probably gusting up to 30 - 40 mph at times. I was driving down a long straight section of road that was bordered on both sides by a large expanse of flat and open space (Las Posas to PCH for those local to Ventura County). I had a 45 - 60 degree cross wind (my 2 o'clock) coming in off the ocean. When I hit 80 - 85 mph, the crosswind was definitely affecting the Elise, and I was having to continuously make steering adjustments.

It never reached the point where I felt too uncomfortable, but at the same time it was no longer a relaxing or enjoyable drive. Also, I noticed the front end definitely felt 'lighter' during the strongest gusts.

I guess this is one of the downsides of a lightweight car. Anyone else had a similar experience ?
Happens in heavy mid engined cars too. I had the same thing happen to me in a Diablo.

Craigy

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I did a top speed run yesterday and it was a windy day. I saw about 147 and it felt great. There were no cars on a 4 lane highway out in the middle of no where. I did feel a cross wind gusting at one point but the car felt solid. Im sure it wasn't the 30-40mph winds that you felt though.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
eliseowner2b said:
I did a top speed run yesterday and it was a windy day. I saw about 147 and it felt great. There were no cars on a 4 lane highway out in the middle of no where. I did feel a cross wind gusting at one point but the car felt solid. Im sure it wasn't the 30-40mph winds that you felt though.
Your car must feel better than mine or you've got much bigger ah..bravery.

Minestarts to feel unstable when I hit around 100-110.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
During both test drives of the Fed Elise, I could feel the front of the Elise getting noticeable lighter at freeway speeds. It never felt alarming but it was noticeable. On the second test drive, I got the Elise up to around 100 mph on a straight, slightly downward sloping freeway.

As for the crosswinds, my understanding is the Elise is not an very areo-dynamic car. So, I would assume cross winds hitting the front vents and rear of the roll bar would be "snag" places for the wind.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
My Exige begins to "wander" on the track at about 120mph.

Alignment also plays a part with this. Some cars come aligned well from the factory and others are off a bit.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Do you have LSS? I wonder if that has something to do with it. (I don't have LSS) I remember Randy mentioning an odd feeling at high speeds.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
eliseowner2b said:
Do you have LSS? I wonder if that has something to do with it. (I don't have LSS) I remember Randy mentioning an odd feeling at high speeds.
The demo car I test drove also had LSS.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
We had this discussion many years ago on the MR2 forums and one conclusion was that a lot of the "floaty" feeling at over 100 was due to wind and the front tires.... the fix being wind deflectors in front of the front tires.

I wonder if the LSS tires being wider are causing the difference in reports?

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Strange I get my car to over 100 MPH on a regular basis and have never experienced the "floaty" feeling. Not even at over 120 Mph... It has always felt perfectly planted... Better get your geo checked!

PS: Come to think of it the original poster is even experiencing problems at 80 - 85 MPH. I had a problem with instability early on. It just started out of the blue. I took it to the dealer and it turned out to be caused by a weight that had fallen off the wheel. This missing weight made the wheel unbalanced. He re-balanced the wheels and the problem went away. Still that problem was only noticeable at speeds in excess of 94 MPH.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Randy, if it's the larger wheel/tire size that makes the difference, Ill know in about 20-30 minutes. I just installed a set of SSR's and LSS type Yoks so Im going to warm them up.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
eliseowner2b said:
Randy, if it's the larger wheel/tire size that makes the difference, Ill know in about 20-30 minutes. I just installed a set of SSR's and LSS type Yoks so Im going to warm them up.
I thought that Lotus said that putting the A048 and wider fronts on the regular suspension was not a good idea...

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Derek said:
Strange I get my car to over 100 MPH on a regular basis and have never experienced the "floaty" feeling. Not even at over 120 Mph... It has always felt perfectly planted... Better get your geo checked!

PS: Come to think of it the original poster is even experiencing problems at 80 - 85 MPH. I had a problem with instability early on. It just started out of the blue. I took it to the dealer and it turned out to be caused by a weight that had fallen off the wheel. This missing weight made the wheel unbalanced. He re-balanced the wheels and the problem went away. Still that problem was only noticeable at speeds in excess of 94 MPH.
Mine gets sketchy at around 85-88 mph, then evens out and starts getting bad again around 100.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
OneFastLotus said:
Mine gets sketchy at around 85-88 mph, then evens out and starts getting bad again around 100.
That sounds like a small imbalance issue.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
I just got back from a 40 mile cruise with the new wheels/tires. I ran it up to 120 mph once and didn't notice anything different from before.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts