The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully this is a quick question. What direction do the stamped S1-S4 face, intake side or exhaust side? I thought I had written it down and taken a picture when I disassembled the engine, but apparently I lost it or don't have it.

I thought I remembered them facing the exhaust side, but from the internet I found some people saying the tangs for the bearings go towards the exhaust side, which would make the stamps face the intake side. I've also found people saying for a 4 cylinder it doesn't matter.

The 2ZZ manual says make sure the stamps face forwards, and match the pistons, but since I have wiseco pistons and crower rods that is not applicable.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I've done that as well. It was just a Sunday and I didn't expect to hear from them over a weekend. I'll post the answer I get once I hear back.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For anyone who cares, it turns out Crower has an online support chat function. They say it does not matter, so all the stuff out there saying they must go one way or the other is just noise.

I'm going to put mine all facing the intake manifold side that way I can make sure the pistons are installed in the correct direction from the bottom as well as the top.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Correct, it does not matter. It does matter with some rods like stock 1ZZ rods which have an integral rod bearing-fed piston oil squirter in the rod.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts