The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know many purists will cringe at my inquiry...but many purists aren't stuck in Omaha, NE where there's straight-line freeways for two hours in every direction, and the state routes/local roads are as extreme as John Kerry's newly botox'd forehead.

The first addition I want to make to my Elise is to add cruise control for those 6 - 10 hour drives to get to the Rocky Mountains, etc. to enjoy those curvy roads. If not cruise control, I'll surely need some sort of onboard electric muscle stimulator to keep my right leg from freezing asleep and/or becoming cramped from holding that aluminum pedal in one place.

Where do I start to find out about how this can be done?
Has anyone else looked into this already and have the solution?
Etc.....

Thank you,
David

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Any good stereo shop should be able to put a decent aftermarket unit in for you. DEI is the first brand to come to mind.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
X000000101 said:

If not cruise control, I'll surely need some sort of onboard electric muscle stimulator to keep my right leg from freezing asleep and/or becoming cramped from holding that aluminum pedal in one place.

Where do I start to find out about how this can be done?
Has anyone else looked into this already and have the solution?
Etc.....

Thank you,
David
David,
offering absolutely no help here, but I find a young brunette would probably work better than an electric muscle stim.

Chris

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Re: Cruise Control...he dares ask...

zvezdah1 said:
David,
offering absolutely no help here, but I find a young brunette would probably work better than an electric muscle stim.

Chris

Laughing....

Thanks, Chris! My girlfriend mentioned from the other Thread on the site will do...and she's a "dirty blond" in more ways than one. ;)

David

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NMRJock said:
Any good stereo shop should be able to put a decent aftermarket unit in for you. DEI is the first brand to come to mind.
Paul,

Thank you for the feedback. Is this something a professional should install? I would assume so, but I can do relatively simple installations, with instructions.

David

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
if you can't find a decent unit, you can always use bricks of various weights to put on the accelerator to give you various speeds! :D

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
X000000101 said:
Paul,

Thank you for the feedback. Is this something a professional should install? I would assume so, but I can do relatively simple installations, with instructions.

David
I'd look into it before deciding to install it yourself. I know friends that have had it done by the best shop in town and it wasn't very expensive. That said, I don't think that it's a difficult install.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, all for the advice...bricks, sail, girlfriend... :)

David

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Noticing Randy talked about the ache of no cruise control on his x-country trip...has anyone taken the plunge to get cruise control installed yet?

Details, please, including price?

Dave

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Just a note though that it was not as bad as I expected and most people will not sit for 19 hours pressing the gas down. For a normal day's trip.. I now think that I don't need a cruise control.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Randy Chase said:
Just a note though that it was not as bad as I expected and most people will not sit for 19 hours pressing the gas down. For a normal day's trip.. I now think that I don't need a cruise control.
(Laughing) Randy...you HAD to retain your virility! ;) "Anything less than a 19-hour drive, you should be able to handle without cruise control...."

I admit, I'm weak...anything more than five minutes on an Interstate highway and cruise control is on! :)

Okay...to make this easier for those of you who have had cruise control installed, yet afraid of purist ridicule...create a temporary username so you can anonymously answer my question. Since I've seen pictures on the forum supposedly taken during a cruise control installation, I know you're out there!

Dave

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Revitalizing a thread posted May 04, as Elise ownership is finally within sight...any new cruise control advice out there? Anyone have any experience with a specific product they can recommend? Etc.?

Thank you,
Dave

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
X000000101 said:
Revitalizing a thread posted May 04, as Elise ownership is finally within sight...any new cruise control advice out there? Anyone have any experience with a specific product they can recommend? Etc.?

Thank you,
Dave

try going to motorcycle shops, some motorcycles dont have cruise control and many riders put them on.

its like a clip that holds the throttle in place.

·
Forum Mop
612 Posts
I'm with Randy.

I love cruise control and all - I just don't see a need for it in this car.

take the car to KC or DesMoines or something for a weekend, and see what you think. the car is small enough that you cant really move your legs around anyway (to stretch), so you might as well keep 'em on the go-fast pedal. ;)

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Just because... I'll add that I'd like cruise. My shin muscle gets tired from holding my foot up to keep the gas pedal from going to the floor. I used to have (on extended loan) a 4 cylinder Jeep that I could floor on the higway & would just stay at 75 - I don't think that method will work in the Elise. ;)

Maybe my foot is longer, legs are at a different angle, or shoes are heavier, but I can't just rest my foot on the gas to maintain speed. I'm all for cruise.

·
Registered
357 Posts
choi0706 said:
try going to motorcycle shops, some motorcycles dont have cruise control and many riders put them on.

its like a clip that holds the throttle in place.
I did 4.6k cross country and didn't even miss the cruise control... Passing and slowing are just too much fun.

M'cycles don't have a real cruise control system. What shops offer is a throttle lock. A clip that literally locks the throttle in the open position and requires a release trigger to disengage. Not the type of solution for an elise.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've got a 94 miata... and i have done very very long trips 14-20 hour days without cruiz... however, somtimes i wish i had it on the interstate, cause I CONSTANTLY find my self speeding up, even more so on twisty roads.

When i want to be road naughty cruiz seems stuipid, but when you are just humming along, and want to MAINTAIN speed it might be a good idea.

I'm still on the waiting list, and have drove the elise in a test/demo car, but I haven't tried it for long term drives, but i'm guessing that the car will tend to get away from you too and be difficult to maintain a cruizing speed with, is that correct?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
nah, it's easy to maintain or realize the change on speed, but there is always that pesky voice telling you.... STEP ON IT!!!!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts