The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I purchased my MY2011 Evora it did not come with Cruise control. I was told it was a easy addition and was able to negotiate it in the price of the car.

First trip
the dealer only ordered the buttons and not the harness

Second trip
The dealer took 7 hours to install my sports exhaust adn the cruise control. never got the cruise to work fully and it finally just quit.

Third trip
Left the car for a week while on vacation for a laundry list of small problems, but mostly the cruise. car returned was told the cruise was working. cruise not working as soon as it was off loaded from the truck.

My question

Cruise, Y U NO WORK?:mad:

Every once-in-awhile the cruise will come on when I push the cruise button, but will usually just shut itself off after a few minutes:confused:

anyone else have a similar problem?:sad:

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm beginning to think the wiring harness was damaged. The first time the dealer installed the harness they installed it backwards. I wonder if that shorted the harness and now its failing.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is Chapman's ghost saying cruise control is not adding lightness :p (i had to)
Chapman's ghost is why I got the cruise control!!!!

Chapmans Ghosts keeps saying:
"its OK. keep the sport mode on. 95+mph is a good cruising speed. Please push the car more, thats why I built it for you":evil:

Unfortunately Mr.Johnny Law disagrees:no:

·
Registered
396 Posts
"its OK. keep the sport mode on. 95+mph is a good cruising speed. Please push the car more, thats why I built it for you"
Wait, you mean sport mode is optional? I thought that was the start button ;)

On the rare occasion that I have used my cruise control (maybe twice), I do remember it acting a little wonky. I remember I had to hold the set button for a coupe of seconds to "set" the speed. It was enough of a delay that I initially thought it wasn't working.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
Wait, you mean sport mode is optional? I thought that was the start button ;)

On the rare occasion that I have used my cruise control (maybe twice), I do remember it acting a little wonky. I remember I had to hold the set button for a coupe of seconds to "set" the speed. It was enough of a delay that I initially thought it wasn't working.
I have never had any issues with the MY11 cruise control.

And yes - the sport button is part of the start up routine.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I got cruise control retrofitted and it works well. Sometimes it won't react to new input, them I need to turn it off and on again...

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm beginning to think the wiring harness was damaged. The first time the dealer installed the harness they installed it backwards. I wonder if that shorted the harness and now its failing.
You would have to be a fool of the highest order to install the harness backwards! Each plug is "keyed" to ensure only one way to insert, and cross the wiring over would require serious numpty-ism, as the wires run asymmetrically & they are only *just* long enough as they are - see the groove at 11pm on the steering wheel? This is where the wiring needs to sit:

Sorry to hear your dealership is staffed by numpties.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I know that some early Evora's had a problem with the brake pedal switch. It was not adjusted correctly, and would shut off the cruise control when the car hit a bump. It is an easy fix.
Ron

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You would have to be a fool of the highest order to install the harness backwards! Each plug is "keyed" to ensure only one way to insert, and cross the wiring over would require serious numpty-ism, as the wires run asymmetrically & they are only *just* long enough as they are - see the groove at 11pm on the steering wheel? This is where the wiring needs to sit:

Sorry to hear your dealership is staffed by numpties.
Well, I have never heard the term "numpties", but somehow its seems a very apt discription of my service so far:(

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I know that some early Evora's had a problem with the brake pedal switch. It was not adjusted correctly, and would shut off the cruise control when the car hit a bump. It is an easy fix.
Ron
I have a parking brake bypass switch so I can use my Navi and App mode while the care is in gear. could that be mossing with the cruise?:shrug:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Ron
This can crop up on any Evora, not just an early. You're quite right that it's an easy fix: loosen the fasteners on the clutch pedal potentiometer, move it a minute amount, and tighten.

I think the OP is talking about a different problem This would be one in which the cruise will refuse to turn on (pressing the "|/O" button) or will suddenly turn off (indicator light on dash goes off) for no reason. This is due to poor installation. A numpty can in fact fit the connectors improperly, so that they fail to seat and eventually start working loose. This causes, at some stage, intermittent CC issues, as well as the ten-second warning display on the dash at startup.

Take it back to the dealer, or get your wrenches out. Our friend from Oz gave you all the information you need to fix it yourself, in another thread, and that might be your best option to avoid dealership numptitude.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
problem solved

Well ever since my cruise contro was installed I notice what seemed to be a mild "looseness" in my steering wheel, like it was just not quite tight enough on the spindle.
Today I gave the steering wheel a small smack at about the 2 o'clock possition. Then I pressed to I/O button for the cruise. Low and behold it popped right on.
To test I gave the steering wheel a small slap at the 7 o'clock possition and the cruise light went off and the cruise would no longer respond to the I/O button.
I think I will just take apart the wheel myself and fix it. I have very little faith that my local Lotus shop knows what they are doing.

Thanks everyone for your input:clap:

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Welcome to the club, They are absolutely useless. We got 3 of them within 100 mile range here and the sad thing is they are part of the same group!! They have managed to destroy my car every time i have taken it in for a problem. You take it in for door issue and you come out with damaged leather and their tech tries to sell you used set of tires.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Well ever since my cruise contro was installed I notice what seemed to be a mild "looseness" in my steering wheel, like it was just not quite tight enough on the spindle.
Today I gave the steering wheel a small smack at about the 2 o'clock possition. Then I pressed to I/O button for the cruise. Low and behold it popped right on.
To test I gave the steering wheel a small slap at the 7 o'clock possition and the cruise light went off and the cruise would no longer respond to the I/O button.
I think I will just take apart the wheel myself and fix it. I have very little faith that my local Lotus shop knows what they are doing.

Thanks everyone for your input:clap:
To me, it sounds like they've removed the wheel via the single spindle nut & not my method (the six hex bolts). Once you pop off the airbag you'll see what's wrong - easy-as!

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
To me, it sounds like they've removed the wheel via the single spindle nut & not my method (the six hex bolts). Once you pop off the airbag you'll see what's wrong - easy-as!
hifiand mtb
How do you get the horn button off? does it just pry off and then you have the bolts for the airbag exposed?
can everything be done from the front?
Plan to take off the steering wheel this weekend to redo the cruise control.

Thanks again

·
Registered
359 Posts
There are two Torx bolts at the back of the wheel, accessed via the two holes you can feel on each side.

Back each of these bolts out & the entire airbag will pop out - you can unplug it (after disconnecting the battery) or just hold it out of the way whilst you work out what's not tight.

Honestly, it's very easy!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts