The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been discussed before, but I can't pull anything up using the search?

I'm looking to put cruise control on my 05 Elise. Would like to know if there are any kits that are more suited toward this car vs others?

If your wondering why??
If you have never been to Alaska, driving to most places is measured in hours. My daily drive to work and home is about 75 miles round trip.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing for my cross country drives. It was easy to put one in my Miata.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Cross country I can get, but 75 miles round trip? That's 32.5mi each way.

Do you need cruise control for 32 miles?

I know it's probably a debated topic, but I can appreciate the value of having cruise control when driving 2 hours at the same speed on a highway.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I'm hoping to do 3 or 4 NC to CA round trip drives over the next few years. Cruise control might pay for itself.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it was just for the daily drive no big deal, but for longer trips it'd be nice, but really what does it matter other than I'd like to have cruise?

I'm sure someone will say, oh that will add 3 lbs.. .oh noes. Sorry but I don't have the illusion that my car is some expensive super car, just a fun econo box is more like it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Do a search for VSS sensor and you'll find some really good info. If you want to get specific search for "Drive gear for Celica VSS sensor".

Basically you can add a Celica VSS sensor to our transmissions that will allow you to go with an aftermarket cruise. I planned on doing this but sold the Elise before I could.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/drive-gear-celica-vss-sensor-59130/

·
Registered
782 Posts
You should find multiple threads on this in search. Easy to do on a 2005, difficult on the later drive by wire cars. Take it to a good auto accessory installation shop that does cruise controls. They can use the kit for an MR2. Mine was done by Sound Spectrum in Hales Corners, Wisconsin. Has worked fine for 7 years.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
put a prius floormat in your car and call it a day.
funny as hell.
I just drove round trip to Kansas from New Hampshire, got out every 2-3 hours to stretch, but didn't really feel likeI needed cruise. Chiropractor maybe. (Joke - Was actually quite tolerable) Guess folks are different.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
The only time I use cruise control in my other car is just to make sure it still works.... I have a similar commute 30 miles or so one way and I never entertain the notion of adding cruise control in the Elise. The once or twice a week I use my Mustang to commute I still don't use the cruise control. Thats just me and your Elise is your Elise do what you want to do with it. If you have a particularly lazy or heavy right foot then cruise could be added for not much money by a stereo or auto accessory shop.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's great guys but I don't think I need to justify to anyone but myself what I want to add or remove on my vehicles.

Thanks for the info on the VSS. I plan on installing it myself. I don't usually take my stuff in since I have my own shop. What I've spent on tools and equipment in the last 10 years could have bought several Elises.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,183 Posts
It's your car, do with it what you want. It's another luxury item which adds complexity and something else to fail if you do use it a lot but then again, I think I can count on one hand how many times I have used cruise control in my 25 years of driving.

I have an 82 mile round trip commute in my cruise controlled DD. Never used it once. I drove to Vegas and back in my DD (600 miles round trip), used DD once for a few miles just to see if it works.

But like I said, VSS is a good, proven way to go. It's your car, enjoy it and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

How many miles do you have on your Elise?

·
Registered
239 Posts
I don't mind driving back to back 14 hour stretches with no cruise control. Not at all, love it. But almost every such journey has drawn the attention of a patrolman.

Cruise control largely eliminates the possibility of a lose-yer-license ticket. Every big ticket I've had was on the highway with no cruise-control, and I just didn't notice that I was speeding. This, plus the fact that my Lotus may draw more attention than my last non CC car - a Chevy Corsica.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well found out that the MWR kit for the MR2 is a no go on the Lotus. Had got info that it would work without too much modifying, but it's not even close to being the right parts.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Ping Yellow99s - I think he looked into it. Not sure he's done the mod but he did say it's a pain in the arse.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have it at a local shop cause I hate doing automotive wiring. He is looking at just doing a generic setup which is fine by me. I don't need anything fancy, just something I can set to 65-70mph and not worry about my speed afterwards.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If it was just for the daily drive no big deal, but for longer trips it'd be nice, but really what does it matter other than I'd like to have cruise?

I'm sure someone will say, oh that will add 3 lbs.. .oh noes. Sorry but I don't have the illusion that my car is some expensive super car, just a fun econo box is more like it.
:up:

·
Registered
639 Posts
Pretty sure that Chuck Risen did this on his Elise a while back and had great success with it. He still comes on here every now and then, but you will have better luck on TOF. He's the guy that did the stereo setup for the Elise with the integrated sub behind the seats.

Later
Corvus

1 - 20 of 21 Posts