The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, I just bought a 2008 Elise and I'm wondering about the brakes.

It's quite difficult to engage ABS. I mean, you really have to stomp on the brakes. The initial bite is good-ish but to really haul her down, you have to use some pretty excessive force. I have felt these kind of brakes before after a track day in my S2000. It's like the fluid is compromised from boiling and the pads are glazed and have lost some stopping power.

For the record, the car is on some new Toyo R888s and has 16,000 miles. I'm not sure of the life it led before my ownership but it's clean.

Do the Elise brakes normally feel this way or is there some maintenance that needs to be done? I'm about to do my first auto-x in the car this weekend on some decently grippy concrete and I'm hoping she'll stop as good as she goes.

Thanks!
-Matt Glagola

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Areas to look at:
Brake fluid flush, If you suspect bubbles a good flush will clear them. I recommend the V2 brake bleed tool from Sector111, turns a brake bleed into a simple 1 person operation.
Glazed rotors?, turn/rough them up.
Inspect pads, even the stock pads normally offer good braking when everything else is in good shape. There are pads out there which have a higher bite, but there are already too many postings on that topic.
R888 tires have a lot of grip, I am not surprised you have trouble getting ABS to engage with those tires. Remember, ABS only engages when tire slippage occurs. Tires with less grip cause ABS to engage earlier.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I'm pretty savvy to all of the above. I'm just curious if the lack of G-force and strong leg are normal. I've only had the car 2 days and I'm just getting to know it. I have only driven this one Elise so I have no basis for comparison.... except for my S2000 which will pop your eyes out even with stock pads (255/40-R17 Dunlop Star Specs on all four corners).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
My pedal requires a fair amount of force to perform a hard stop, by comparison my suv requires 1/4 the force for moderate stopping. As far as peak stopping G's, the brakes on the lotus should swing you forward (at speed where downforce is working for you) at slightly over 1G. Track prepped Elises with ultra grippy pads and DOT slicks have recorded 1.5Gs of braking, at full downforce speed on their data loggers.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I'm just not used to non-overboosted brakes. Who knows? I will probably do a fluid flush and pad/rotor refresh anyway... just to learn for myself.

Loving the car!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Mine is the same way, once the ABS takes over, you have no braking power at all. Just wait until your in traffic, and you really have to stop. Then youll *really* be worried about your brakes.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
r888 is a pretty sticky tire so if you have the stock pads, I'm not sure why you think you should be able to get in to ABS at all...

-G

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
my pedal ('05) requires a good bit of pressure - i would roughly guess maybe 2x more than my modern BMW. i like the pedal effort/boost in the BMW for a touring GT, i think the pedal effort/boost in the Elise is spot on perfect for a hard core sports car.

i find it much easier to modulate around the ABS / lockup with a higher pedal pressure. its much more difficult (for me) to do that in the BMW with a softer effort limit.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I did an auto-x on Sunday and put a hurting on the brakes as there were 3 really tight turns that followed redlined 2nd gear straights.... or what the Lotus made like a straight. :) I guess they just needed waking up as they work great now. Who knows when the last time these guys were used to their potential. Prior to the event, there was some surface rust on the actual rotors in the rear. Now they are nice and shiny.

I'm happy with the stock system even with R888s.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts