The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say my goal is 250 or more rear wheel HP...

Can this be done with a cat/emissions still in place? It's not that I'm afraid of the sniff test, it's just that I just get sick of smelling like exhaust after a drive... So my goal would be to build a fast car that was also enjoyable to be in. I don't mind if the car is louder, but not stinking like exhaust is a key point.

Would an Elise or an Exige be a better starting point from a cost standpoint? I am noobish about what upgrades (such as larger fuel pumps or clutches/pressure plates) might already be on a 2007 Exige S vs. say a 2006 Elise.

Thank you!

:nanner2:

·
Registered
10,000 Posts
emissions will go out the window anytime you touch anything thats part of the emissions chain that isn't approved, so ecu, exhaust, headers, tb, injectors, fuel pump etc etc.

having the car meet sniffer test requirements is pretty much nothing to do with how much rwhp it makes, since the sniffer tests aren't done on load.

our 450RWHP car will pass a sniffer and still maintains all the OBD II tests.

elise or exige, just depends on the cost, there are lots of threads about the pros and cons of which one to get.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
As far as I know all the Vision Function kits were designed around the stock header and catalyst, and the lowest power kits makes just a hair over 250WHP.

As far as the choices, well an 06 Elise/Exige would be cheaper, but you would still have to install everything which takes time. The 07 Exige S already has most of the hardware needed so you probably just have to upgrade the injectors, pulley and find an appropriate ECU reflash (CharlieX above would be your best bet for that). The Elise SC has a smaller supercharger and no intercooler, so I would not expect 250WHP using the hardware that is installed on those...maybe more like 200-210WHP (like othe non-intercooled supercharger kits).

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Would an Elise or an Exige be a better starting point from a cost standpoint? I am noobish about what upgrades (such as larger fuel pumps or clutches/pressure plates) might already be on a 2007 Exige S vs. say a 2006 Elise.
As Westrock points out, avoid the Elise SC if upgrading.
You should study this thread:
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f160/overview-supercharge-turbocharge-solutions-48412/

Note that some of the kits include an upgraded fuel pump. The stock clutch can deal with 250whp, but many here would recommend upgrading. At 275whp, the stock clutch will be on a death march.

Good luck with it. Give us an update...

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
As far as I know all the Vision Function kits were designed around the stock header and catalyst, and the lowest power kits makes just a hair over 250WHP.

As far as the choices, well an 06 Elise/Exige would be cheaper, but you would still have to install everything which takes time. The 07 Exige S already has most of the hardware needed so you probably just have to upgrade the injectors, pulley and find an appropriate ECU reflash (CharlieX above would be your best bet for that). The Elise SC has a smaller supercharger and no intercooler, so I would not expect 250WHP using the hardware that is installed on those...maybe more like 200-210WHP (like othe non-intercooled supercharger kits).
Listen to this guy, he's definitely got it lined out, check out his awesome thread!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts