The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I can't stand it anymore...gotta replace the speakers. So after some research I finally decided to go with the Infinity Kappa. I have always used Crutchfield for my car audio needs in the past (way past), but decided to go on Amazon just to check prices and I was surprise by the fact that Crutchfield is nearly 2X the price then most other vendors. :eek: Such as etronics and Discount Jungle. Both of which has 97%+ positive rating with over 10k ratings. Anyhow, I don't know how Crutchfield can expect to stay in business with these types of competition. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I got the lower model Infinity Reference series 4" and 5.25" with the Blau Ipod cable shipped for $108 total from Crutchfield. Generally I do agree that they're expensive, but some of those Amazon/buy.com prices are from 3rd party companies which can be a little shaky.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crutchfield is always the most expensive. The only good part about using them is that they give you all the brackets/wiring harness/mounting kits to complete the job, or atleast they used to.
Agreed, specially on head units (maybe not this car). However in this case, those don't apply, so hard to justify the extra cost. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
maybe Crutchfield charges more because they spend so much money on sending out catalogs so often!?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
when you call them, you speak to a real american.
they always have what you need in-stock.
their reference materials are pretty good too.
they take returns without huge hassels.

they're not the cheapest. but for mail order, they're pretty darn good.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Watch out for grey market vendors....LOTS of them out there.
Do a search on the internet for them. You'll read a lot and then learn to stay away. Crutchfield actually prices fair

·
Registered
564 Posts
has anyone heard of EBAY

·
Registered
321 Posts
Be careful with SonicElectronix. If you have any problems with any items you receive from them, they can't fix them. They are just a wholesaler. So, it took 8 weeks for them to turn around a Pioneer head unit (me-to them - Pioneer repair center - to them - back to me) and I had to pay the shipping even though I was well within the 30 day post purchase window.

The headunit was defective from the factory. Buttons didn't correspond to their functions, and some didn't work at all. Factory couldn't fix it.

Anyways, I've ordered 3-4 times from them and everything was great until I learned the hard way that they really can't offer much in the way of post purchase support. I told them to just send me a new one and they told me they couldn't, and that I had to go through the repair process or get "store credit" if you will.

Pleasant overall experience, just be cautious.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
has anyone heard of EBAY
Thank you, why didn't I think of that? Seriously, the point is not about finding the cheapest deal. I am just pointing out how can a company like Crutchfield intend to stay in business when the price differences is this great (new to new). Yes, I agreed you can charge for service cost (technical and customer service) but not at nearly twice the price.

·
Registered
475 Posts

"real american"?

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
"real american"?
yeah, as in gen-u-wine.

not a well spoken indian with a fake name reading from a script.

costs a company 3 to 4X to do it that way, rather than offshoring.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts

+1 they are big box retail prices - but you get a lot of "customer service thrown in for free.

IF you have no issues - sure you can spend less money. i did have an issue with an amazon purchase (saving about 200 over crutchfield) but when they mailed it to the wrong coast... it took me a month and about 15 hours of my time to get all money back - wish i had done crutchfield in that instance.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts

+1 well said

1 - 16 of 16 Posts