The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard from a little bird that Roger Becker and Dave Simkin might be at Crystal Cove tomorrow (Saturday, October 2, 2004) Anyone planning on being there?

Bob

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Bob, were you there? I missed you if you were. Your "liitle bird" was partially correct. Roger was there. Thanks for posting that. Deb and I had the good fortune to chat with Roger one-on-one for over an hour. Very interesting. Dan (with the Sport 190) was there with us, as well.

I think ROCKCENTER was there. I didn't meet him, but there was a Storm Ti with a hardtop and a NY temporary registration sticker there. Ivor was there with both his Elise and the Elan his son now drives. Rex Ryan, from San Diego (doesn't post or lurk here) was also there with an interesting mod to his AS Elise. Roger was driving the Green/Bisquit pre-production car.

Here's a picture of Rex and Roger in their cars:

Attachments

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Rex's mod

I mentioned an interesting that mod Rex made, but forgot to point it out in the picture. I will post more details in the Exterior/Interior category, but if you notice the area just in front of the roll bar, across the whole top and down to the doors, Rex had that area covered in black leather macthing the seat material. Normally that would be body color, Artic Silver in this case. It looked nice.

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
It does look nice in that picture and would cover a part of the car that seems quite prone to scratches.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ChrisB... I didn't make it. I had a business meeting last until 1:30 AM and I woke-up too late. :(

Glad Roger was there! Bummer that Dave Simkin couldn't make it. Seeing the two Elises together really makes me want mine even more!!!

Bob

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
HOw bout some details of talking with Roger Becker??
Chris
Most of the conversation was non-Elise related. He did say they had temporarily stopped plant tours because of work being done on some new car...I didn't ask.

We also discussed the production ramp-up based on the additional contract workforce they have hired. I had heard it was going to be a second shift. It's not. They're extending the work hours of the current shift and speeding up some processes where additional people would help. They expect to be able to produce 120 cars a week. They view the huge US backlog as the kind of problem you like to have, but a problem that may have gotten a little too big for comfort. Good news for us, eventually.

He also talked about the Celica GTS that Arnie purchased and sent to Hethel. What I hadn't heard before was that the invoice for that car was sent to his department, not Arnie's, and he got pretty well reamed for the unapproved, clandestine operation. Some of the interesting war stories that come from a maverick group of passionate car people.

Roger is a great guy and I very much enjoyed getting to know him better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts