The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after having the cup airbox for about two years, and the filter (the TRD one) for about 6 months, I finally got it all installed today. Not sure what came over me, but came home from work, and said "lets do it".

Install was pretty painless, everything came apart real easy, remounting the bolted on half of the box was a bit trickey, a second pair of hands was needed from the top, and its a good thing Im used to working blind, other wise it might have got ugly.

Ran my finger around the inside of the TB, and it came out black and oily, guess this winter will call for a catch can.

Went for a nice long drive, seems just a hair noisier while driving, not really enough to notice, tho I never did have the windows up, lol, a distinct induction sound on downshifts is new, and I can heard the SC whine at higher RPMS now, which I couldnt really before. I like the sounds tho, its why I got it in the first place. So very pleased. Install took about a hour to do, from start to finish.

Perhaps what started it all, was a guy came in to work today asking if the "orange car" was mine. I said it was, and he believed me, normally people don't, but he then said "I hate to say it, but that car kind of makes my Porsche look like a pile of cr*p." That sort of made my day, after that, I guess Luci the Lotus needed a bit of pampering, earned her a wax job too!

Hope everyone is having a great summer!

·
Registered
07 Exige S
1,603 Posts
That was the first mod I did when I got my Exige. All the parts came with car but uninstalled.

In retrospect my mod addiction seemed almost innocent. Maybe it was the honemoon phase back then:crazyeyes

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just put mine on the exige S - I had a short struggle taking the bottom electrical connector off.

Before this I had the snorkel removed and installed the Funnel - it actually was louder before ... eh ... clubsport exhaust takes over everything ....

Sealed the tray part with e9000 and also used the trd air filter.

I have Torque300 tune awaiting once my 5 other things get installed (hard to find time these days).

·
Registered
327 Posts
I hear a lot about the cup airbox but never see any pics of them! I actually have a cup 240 but the airbox has been replaced with a pod filter. What is the general consensus as to which is better?

Also whats the difference between the cup airbox and the regular airbox?

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
I've got a CUP260 and it didn't come with the "CUP" air box/filter...go figure. :shrug:

So, I got the cup air box for my cup car... OK... so what? :scratchhead:

I've replaced it almost immediately with a conical K&N cold air intake. I got the SSC CAI, but if I had to do it again, I'd get the Reverie Daytona... I would not have gotten the TRD crap at all... :no:

·
shay2nak
25,083 Posts
I've got a CUP260 and it didn't come with the "CUP" air box/filter...go figure. :shrug:

So, I got the cup air box for my cup car... OK... so what? :scratchhead:

I've replaced it almost immediately with a conical K&N cold air intake. I got the SSC CAI, but if I had to do it again, I'd get the Reverie Daytona... I would not have gotten the TRD crap at all... :no:
Yeah K&N on mine too, netted significant gains on the dyno and makes a sweet induction noise.
y'all just removed the box and placed the cone on the coupler?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I think i have the SSC intake on mine too, basically a 4 inch alloy tube with a 45 degree bend in it. Is that what you have on yours JJ?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know there is much better intakes, but I always go WAY over board on mods, I promised when I got the lotus, it would stay within official Lotus parts unless totally necessary. To be honest, I did it more for sound than power lol. Took it for a nice long drive today, still sounds good!

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
I did the cup-car airbox long ago on my N/A '06, and honestly, loved the increased volume, but the sound doesn't really do anything for me. I need to get something different, I want smaller and lighter, the cup-car box is just too big and heavy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts