The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts on which cup holder works "better" and is less intrusive when in use and not in use? I haven't seen many people using the GRP one so I thought I'd solicit any feedback. The ORE dual one isn't an option since it is sold out (and is uber-expensive).
TIA!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I have the sector 111/ inokinetic one. Works great as a cup holder because it grips onto nearly any size cup I put in there. It's a bit intrusive for entry and exit...

I also have the blackwatch racing one. It's really convenient. But didn't quite hold cups as well as they can slide around in there.

Don't have any experience with the other options unfortunately. But my friend complains about the stock one because it's mostly unusable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I went back and forth on the GRP one or the darthholder. Went with the darthholder in the end from inokinetic. The GRP one looks nice but I didn't like how it was fixed in place all the time and a cup would block the climate controls a little (plus it was a little bulkier by the look of it) (I really wanted the ORE one for the same area but you can slide that back when not in use). Overall though, the darthholder has been awesome, very happy with it and for me, it's not intrusive getting in and out (though I'm not tall at all so that helps), and honestly blends quite nicely with the interior of the car.

Lastly, you can fit a wide amount of drinks in the darthholder quite nicely with the adjustable springs, I think the GRP one is a little limited in that regard.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is pretty much what I figured. I also was on the fence about the GRP one being fixed in place like it is. Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,415 Posts
I don't have any experience with those particular ones, but I do love my ORE dual cup holder!

·
Premium Member
823 Posts
I have both of them in excellent condition and I'm not using them. I have 2 sector cup holders and one GRP cup/cell holder. PM me with a reasonable offer.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,246 Posts
The funny thing is when we developed the DARTHholder as a joke. We never thought any of us Lotus purists would want a cupholder in their cars! We supply it with a mesh bag so you can hide it in your trunk - so none of your purists friend would see it at a car meet. ;) But it worked so well and people loved it so much that we kept it in production all these years.

Side development note: Our prototype was held in place with a tennis ball...but it was too bright and attention grabbing so we had to update it with a high tech elastomeric retention device to make it truly special. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The funny thing is when we developed the DARTHholder as a joke. We never thought any of us Lotus purists would want a cupholder in their cars!
It def isn't the most attractive piece of kit but it seems to work based on feedback. A cupholder isn't something that is needed all the time but sometimes it is nice to be able to bring a cup of coffee with you to an early morning meet-up.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I've never had an official one. What I used was NOT the sexiest device - but in my old Elise - I just used a PVC cap I had lying around, velcroed to the sill, and only for long trips. Most of the time, It was just in the trunk.

I originally did it for my drive home when I bought the Elise (ATL to NY) - but it worked so well, I just kept it. Wouldn't hold during hard corners, but as stated - who cares, it was meant for the hwy long haul drives only. (and I only used it with closed drinks).

I've seen a few good DIY holders that bolt near the shifter or passenger seat that are appealing too. Such as SwingLo's version.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any thoughts on which cup holder works "better" and is less intrusive when in use and not in use? I haven't seen many people using the GRP one so I thought I'd solicit any feedback. The ORE dual one isn't an option since it is sold out (and is uber-expensive).
TIA!
TIA!
i have the grp one, was installed on the car when I bought it. It’s got a cellphone slot that is nice as long as you don’t have a bulky case. The cup holder is functional although it doesn’t grab anything hard, a can will rattle around in there. I imagine a large cup or bottle wouldn’t fit in there but I haven’t tried it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone have a 3d printer and tried this one (or tweak it to make it better, like with less lean for instance)?
Lotus Elise Cup Holder Bracket - thing:3575134

·
Supporting Vendor
4,246 Posts
It def isn't the most attractive piece of kit but it seems to work based on feedback...
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....having said that, I would politely suggest our solution is the most elegant design available (other than the factory). The fact that it is easily removable and stored away is an added bonus.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....having said that, I would politely suggest our solution is the most elegant design available (other than the factory). The fact that it is easily removable and stored away is an added bonus.
Yeah I think it looks fine...and the fact that I can remove it in seconds is key. I do have to work my legs around it on entry and exit. And because there is no actual bottom to the cupholder, there can be a decent amount of condensation build up that will then get everywhere.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts