The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure there are plenty of other ideas and options for a cup holder for an Esprit. I didn't see anything I liked so I designed my own and had it "printed" in hard plastic. It took me a few tries to get it right (and it is mostly there... still needs some tweaking)

Let me know what you think...

David

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Although I do have a 3D printer (Solidscape) I couldn't use it for this project. I went through Cubify.com which was very cool to do. My machine is for smaller items, specifically jewelry model making.

These rapid prototyping machines are going to change the world as we know it!

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Registered
80 Posts
very nice, can you do it in different colors?
yes those machines are changing the world. caution: recently the NYTimes had an article about people trying to make guns out of them, or trigger mechanisms which they then attach to steel barrels.
if you ever make a cup holder for g-types, let us know!

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
Looks great - I have a Makerbot Replicator sitting behind me at work - while the build area might not quite be big enough I'd love to get a copy of your model and see if I could print one myself. Any interest in posting it up?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
very nice, can you do it in different colors?
yes those machines are changing the world. caution: recently the NYTimes had an article about people trying to make guns out of them, or trigger mechanisms which they then attach to steel barrels.
if you ever make a cup holder for g-types, let us know!
Thanks. Currently it is only doable in white. There are other ways to get one printed but I'm not sure how much more I'm willing to spend on this experiment. The site I used, Cubify.com wouldn't allow me to use one of the color options. I was able to do both smooth (prototype 1h)
and textured finishes (prototype 2)... The textured finish was a little hard on the leather.

WHEN I get another G-type I will do one. (FYI, I'm looking for a specific one... 87 BRG vin ending 61045 if anyone knows its whereabouts)

Looks great - I have a Makerbot Replicator sitting behind me at work - while the build area might not quite be big enough I'd love to get a copy of your model and see if I could print one myself. Any interest in posting it up?
I'd love to see it output on a Markerbot... Been wanting one of those too.

Two issues though, 1) unless it can produce a completely smooth surface, which I'm not sure the Markerbot can do, it may rub the leather too hard as the model is a tight fit. 2) I'm on my 4th prototype and know I need to make more improvements. Specifically, it slides back and comes loose on hard acceleration. So, once I get around to making the proper adjustments I'll consider sharing the file.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Absolute power does what?
3,201 Posts
I'd love to see it output on a Markerbot... Been wanting one of those too.

Two issues though, 1) unless it can produce a completely smooth surface, which I'm not sure the Markerbot can do, it may rub the leather too hard as the model is a tight fit. 2) I'm on my 4th prototype and know I need to make more improvements. Specifically, it slides back and comes loose on hard acceleration. So, once I get around to making the proper adjustments I'll consider sharing the file.
It most certainly can NOT print something smooth. As it prints by layers of extruded plastic the edges are always rough. They can be sanded smooth if you want.

I don't want to print it to use it - more just because I can. First thing I've ever seen that I thought "this is the future - soon this will be normal" Remembering my first 9 pin dot matrix printer from '87 when no one even had a computer.

So I'd still love to print it - again just because. I can give it to VulcanGray and let him sand it for his Esprit if he wants (I have an Exige anyway).

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,861 Posts
This is the cup-holder I want for my Esprit.

It fits into the passenger seat! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts