The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Rails Engineering has designed one that will end your search for a functional cup holder, made out of aluminum to match the interior of our cars. The opening is slightly larger than the oem one which will allows it fit many beverages of different sizes. The cup holder will mount in the same location as the oem one. Our design will eliminate having to drill and using rivets.

We will be offering a couple of options......double cup holder and single cup holder. The single cup holder is similar to the oem one with a larger opening.

Double Cup Holder with mounting hardware - $175
Single Cup Holder with mounting hardware - $150

For those with a cup holder that wants to upgrade and use their existing hardware

Double cup holder - $150
Single cup holder - $125

We are looking for minimum of 10 people for this group buy. Once the minimum is met we will start production.

You will have an option of black or red strap. The material we are using is similar to what's used in the Porsche door pulls.

Shipping will be $6 via USPS

This is our first batch so it could take up to 3 months. So please bare with us, we don't want to rush it.

We have tested the cup holder on a 8hr 500 mile drive in a 2005 Elise. These pictures are from that trip.

·
Registered
256 Posts
There was a reason why our cars didn't come with a cup holder (or 2), cruise control, cigarette lighter, ash tray, etc, etc, etc,. THEY ARE TRUE SPORTS CARS AND DO NOT NEED IT! :facepalm

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There was a reason why our cars didn't come with a cup holder (or 2), cruise control, cigarette lighter, ash tray, etc, etc, etc,. THEY ARE TRUE SPORTS CARS AND DO NOT NEED IT! :facepalm
Really? Our cars didn't come with one because they made it an option. It's now a standard feature in the exige. I'm pretty sure I'm right in saying this having owned 4 Elises and 3 Exiges, that the exige is the more track oriented car. So why is it a standard feature?

Don't worry we put a red race strap for you hardcore track guys. It's now a "race cup holder"

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts
Looks good...I've spilled coffee in mine a few times (heading to the track). I spent too much damn money on my car last month so I'll subscribe for another batch.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Yes because when one drives an hour to the office in the morning or puts 12k miles per year on their Elise, they have no interest in enjoying a morning coffee or listening to the radio.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Looks very nice! I'm assuming this has the sliding mechanism similar to the OEM one? Also, do you have the weights both for single and double?

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks very nice! I'm assuming this has the sliding mechanism similar to the OEM one? Also, do you have the weights both for single and double?
it does have the same sliding mechanism and ours will fit the oem mechanism. so if one just wants to upgrade, its doable very easily.

I can get the weights this weekend.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
same way the oem one mounts. The car is already setup for a cup holder from the factory.
So is it just nuts and bolts then if you don't have to drill or use rivets? Also, can you post pictures showing the cup holder in the retracted position as well as what it looks like when it's empty?

·
I Have Commitment Issues
2,911 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, there are no rivets or drilling involved, our mount is just like the factory mount but with a rear screw that pushes against the dash to stabilize the holder. We just did a full test on a long drive and it was great even with large heavy drinks! As for pics, our Lotuses are put away for the winter but we will be down there friday to do a formal photo shoot with the cup holder.

·
Terry
2,198 Posts
looks great! just wondering how come a cool and useful item like this doesn't get lots of interests. great job btw!

·
Monaco Dreamin'
461 Posts
I'm liking this. Do you have any photos of the unit in its retracted position? Just curious how far it sticks out from the dash when not in use.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.