The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I went to the track for the first time on the weekend in my Cup 240 and had a blast, but the car just felt far too soft. It has the Ohlins cup dampers with the default spring rates of 320lb front and 416lb rear.

I can increase that to 450lb and 562lb (i think these are the Cup 260 rates?) but im not sure if this will still be enough?

I run R-Comp tyres (Kumho V70A which are probably between a Toyo R888 and Yoko A050 as far as performance goes).

What spring rates do people recommend for these dampers? Is going even firmer than the Cup 260 rates recommended? I want to be mindful of not turning the car into something that handles on a knife edge but the floaty handling has to go!

Some pics of the boaty handling...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
There was a thread I saw not too long ago that covered this topic, the real problem isn't exceeding the envelope of the dampers valving, it's actually finding heavy enough springs in the non-standard Ohlins size. There were only one higher spring rate value available and I think you listed that above.
Beyond that you could sell the cup setup and get a set of Nitrons or Quantum dampeners with appropriate spring rates to suite your needs...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
was it this one ---> http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f91/lotus-sport-ohlins-spring-rate-96529/

I'm not real keen on changing to Nitrons, I mean im tracking the car but its not solely a track car. Comfort is not a requirement but I dont want to lose focus and change too many components at once. If going to the Cup 260 rates will see a good improvement in roll then ill be satisfied with that. I just dont want to mess around setting the car up again only to find they are still not up to the task.

From what I have looked into, the spring lengths are 200mm front and 220mm rear (for the 320/416 rates) but the 450/562 rates are 180mm and 200mm. That's not a bad thing though because it gives me more height adjustment - the fronts are maxed out at 120mm ride height and i'd like to get it down to 115mm if possible and run the rear at 120mm.

Does anyone have the actual part no.s for the Cup 260 springs?

The part numbers I have been given are # 281-35 for the front (180mm 450lb) and # 180-49 (200mm 562lb)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^ thanks

so no one has any input as to what spring rates are good with these dampers?

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Simon I have the name of a bloke that also revalves, but I am not sure if it is needed.
Maybe Lee at SSC would be worth talking to?
I'm in a similar "boat".

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Randal, a guy from AE gave me a contact for an aussie distributor who can order directly from Ohlins but I didnt think to call Lee, im sure he'd be able to advise.

haha love the pun

·
Registered
405 Posts
I personally don't have the Ohlins and thus am not sure what their spring ID is, but most of the spring manufacturers sell 1.88, 2.0, 2.25, etc. Are you sure you can't use an off the shelf?

Check here for Eibach's motorsport spring range:
http://eibach.com/sites/devperformance-suspension.eibach.com/files/catalogs/ERS_19_US.pdf

If none of that will work, it isn't that big a deal to get a custom spring wound. For sure it would be cheaper than changing your whole suspension out. Do a bit of web searching, most anyone will make custom springs, including hyperco, eibach, afco, etc.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Hey Randal, a guy from AE gave me a contact for an aussie distributor who can order directly from Ohlins but I didnt think to call Lee, im sure he'd be able to advise.

haha love the pun
Let me know... I have Rover lengths, but I need any info... (Please)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I flicked Stu an email yesterday but yet to hear from him. What shocks do you have?

So far for track use people have recommended around 550-600/650-700.

I'm also going to fit monoballs. Im surprised Lotus coupled such a stiff chassis with suspension this soft.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
The dampers are the 2 way, sport jobs (Smaller diameter). They sound like yours with the same rates.
it is also common to have stiff suspension on a flexible chassis.
I am not sure if the stiff suspension is over rated? What is it doing for you? All you need to do is keep off of the bump stops, so too stiff is not beneficial... But the numbers you are mentioning sound fine.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes that's true Randall, it's easier to spring a car than develop a chassis I guess. I'm sure there's a reason Lotus went with this set up but apparently the dampers we have (36mm) were originally designed for motorbikes so there's a touch of that "let's take the cheap option" in there too I think.

Regards to what it will do for me, I want some more feedback and ability to transition the weight of the car more directly. It's fine on the street or in the hills because the speeds aren't there but from the first corner on the track things felt a bit vague and delayed. That's the only way I can describe it.

I've emailed a distributor to ask if he can get the above rates, I will let you know what he says. Do you want me to organise you a set as well? (Depending on what rates he can get?) I know for sure he can get us 450/560, just waiting to hear back on the others.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Didn't receive your PM? What rates were you thinking would work?
I dunno... See what they have available and what they say about the dampers working with (or not) regarding the spring combo.

The rear dampers on a Rover chassis are different, but the fronts are the same as a Toyota chassis.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts