The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about parking your car. I know that you have to angle the car when going in and out of parking lots. But what I want to know is what do you guys do when you are parking in a space that has a curb in the front. Do you know where the bumper is or do you just stop the car well ahead of the curb and leave the rear out?

Or do you just not park in these spaces?

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
Usually I do the same thing with curves, that I do with other cars in front. I maintain a safe distance visually.

I can see the curb, gauge where the front of the car is, and park a bit away from it, so not to hit it. The Elise is such a small car, that even if you left enough distance between the curb and the front of the car, you would not be sticking out.

I also learned, as a motorcycle rider, NEVER to stick your car/bike in so far into a parking space, that others can't see the rear. You can imagine what happens then :eek:

Are you driving with a blind fold?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I know where the front ends & give it plenty of room. The car is much shorter than a standard parking space, why push it all the way in.

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
I always allow 2 feet in front of me so the back end is close to the end of the space. You don't want to park all the way in because then the space looks empty to a huge cruising Hummer H2 looking for a spot. -eek-

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you driving with a blind fold?
I currently don't own a lotus but with my current car I do tend to scrape some. and I was just wondering what (lotus owners) do in those situations.

But no I don't drive with a blind fold. I just don't care about the bumper of my current car. it is kind of a beater.

·
Banned
3,227 Posts
I currently don't own a lotus but with my current car I do tend to scrape some. and I was just wondering what (lotus owners) do in those situations.

But no I don't drive with a blind fold. I just don't care about the bumper of my current car. it is kind of a beater.
I know it is hard to believe, but us Lotus owners are human too, and it is afterall just a car, like any other car. So I do the same with the Lotus as I do with my other 5 cars, I park a bit of distance away from the curb.

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
i stop in the row before i turn into a space, then i install a bumper diaper. from there it's trouble free parking.

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
i stop in the row before i turn into a space, then i install a bumper diaper. from there it's trouble free parking.
rotflrotflrotfl

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Stop well ahead of the curb/bumper.

Our cars do not clear bumpers.

Not sure?

Get out of the car and LOOK first!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I have a question about parking your car. I know that you have to angle the car when going in and out of parking lots. But what I want to know is what do you guys do when you are parking in a space that has a curb in the front. Do you know where the bumper is or do you just stop the car well ahead of the curb and leave the rear out?

Or do you just not park in these spaces?

stop well short. you dont' want to pull too far up, not because you could damage the clam, but because you want the back of your car to be visible from the aisle (on an angle-like an approaching car would see) and not appear as an "empty" space to your favorite soccer mom on her cell phone while trying to park her navigator. These cars are so small, that some have been "run over" because people turned into spots not thinking there was already a car there.

·
Registered
82 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Leave one or two feet... the car is short. Also, if longer vehicles park on both sides, your car will be easier to spot if someone thinks the space might be empty.

·
shay2nak
24,979 Posts
the car is short so don't go all the way forward. Line up the back of the car with the others so people looking for parking spots don't mistake yours for a vacant one a smack into the car.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts