The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of selling my 1986 Lotus Esprit HCI Turbo. 33,000 Original Miles. Runs & Drives awesome I'm the third owner. Many new parts. Black with Tan interior. BBS Factory wheels. Body is nice but does show some age and has some clear peal on the hood and tops of fenders I may fix before sale. Interior in original condition and does not have any major cracking and no tears. Just want an idea of what to ask for the car where it will actually sell. A realistic number would be nice. Thanks guy all help is appreciated!!

·
Banned
938 Posts
Hi.
Pics?

·
Banned
938 Posts
Gotcha.

·
Banned
1,594 Posts
Anywhere from $8K to $20K is your answer until you post pics.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Actually... It could be worth a lot of money, but black on tan 86 turbos are notorious for being the only year/engine/color combo that is not desirable at all.....

But since your relatively new here I'll help you out and take it off your hands for you.... FREE OF CHARGE!

·
Registered
576 Posts
Anywhere from $8K to $20K is your answer until you post pics.
Other than knowing what car it is and the basic look, pictures are not useful on valuing a car. While you can sometimes confirm a basket case with pictures you can't tell a high quality car without an in person inspection.

You can tell nothing about the mechanicals, and pictures can't differentiate between a waxed 10 and a waxed 5. But, the difference between a 10 and a 5 paint job is $thousands.

The car in question has clear coat problems, "that I may fix before sale."

The paint will not look good and the car, especially in black will require a total respray as you can't match panels.

Randy

·
Super Moderator
4,184 Posts
Tell us about maintenance history?

You mentioned in another post the fuel pumps were not working - sounds. Like you got it fixed?
What about Service C? Timing belt replacement?

Fluid replacements?
The car was sitting around since 2000 - original tires?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I recently paid $15,100.00 for my '87. Body is VG, Interior near perfect. Runs pretty well accept for some low speed issues. Recent service unknown so I'm doing a full "C" service + some.
I don't think I paid too much.

What area of the country are you in? That will effect the value also.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I recently paid $15,100.00 for my '87. Body is VG, Interior near perfect. Runs pretty well accept for some low speed issues. Recent service unknown so I'm doing a full "C" service + some.
I don't think I paid too much.

What area of the country are you in? That will effect the value also.
IMO, you paid about the right amount for your car. The '86 and '87 are more desireable than the carbed versions. More sorted, better performance, and more overall "beef" in the cooling system & engine internals. FI helps too ;)

The top HCi cars will sell in the high teens or close to $20K for a great car. Take a few grand off for any issues from there. So, you paid right where Id expect you to for what you describe.

There just arent many of these left to choose from so in some ways you have to buy pretty much any example that you find in decent shape. Hard to come by the truly top cars because...well.... they *usually *aint for sale :D

·
Banned
938 Posts
Pics.???

·
Banned
938 Posts
Hello 86.
Can you post pics. please?
I am very interested.
Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry guys haven't been around the computer. I will post some pics later this week. It was my fathers car we have had it since early to mid 90's thanks.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts