The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been checking E-bay and it seems like the overall market value for the elise is around $45K, here is a history of the last 5 cars listed.

----------------------------------

Nov 2nd,

$46,200 no options.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2496983755

-----------------------------------

Nov 3rd

$46,640 HT/Touring

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2498053878

Nov 7th

No Sale, max bid $45,100 Touring

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=2498227105

Nov 10th

No Sale, 0 bids started at $45,290, HT/Starshield/Touring?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4501986444

Nov 11th

No Sale, max bid $44,100, Buy now $46,500 Touring/Starshield

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4502138183

Even if the only two actually sold where on the $46k range, it seems like the market value is pointing towards $45k for a fast sale on Ebay.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
Ebay is not a good place to buy new cars. You're not dealing with dealers, it's a lot of money, cars may or may not exist. I didn't bother bidding on any ebay cars when I picked up an off-list Elise. Too risky, no real reason to do it IMO.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree on not being a good place to buy a car, but it does reflect the current market value in a way.

I was just throwing this for information to others on what seems to be the general value of the cars.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I'd be interested in finding out how much dealers are getting for cars that are unspoken for (waiters dropped of the list).

Seems to me, if you're going to pay over MSRP, a new purchase from the dealer is the first place to go.

·
Registered
352 Posts

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>This one is going on a no reserve auction, so it may be a better indication of market value.<<<

Maybe a bit closer to reality...but not much. Folks tend to buy from dealers. It's just easier and the risks are lower.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
If I wanted a new Elise, I'd be pretty pumped about that auction! I HAVE bought a car on eBay, and it worked out great. No reserve, low starting price. yes!

·
Registered
7,710 Posts
valenti has a krypton green and they wanted 6k over after they use the car as a demo for the next 6 weeks....
krypton green is what i want, with touring, ht, and starshield, but im not paying 6k over for a demo.
if that car was on ebay for high mid 40's, it would be mine.

·
Registered
645 Posts
The ebay market value doesn't reflect the market value at the dealer. Things are almost always cheaper on auctions. That's where people go for deals. If they wanted to pay the full dealer mark up, they would want the whole dealer experience that went along with it. To me it's a lot more fun to go to a dealer and talk to real people about what kind of deal you can make. Also, I think there is just something that doesn't feel right about talking the price UP. You have to be trusting of the pics too. That might be the biggest factor.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Half (or nearly) the cars on E-bay are at dealers<<<

But note that, apparently, you don't have the same legal rights as when you deal directly with a dealer. Personally I'd suggest contacting area dealers should you want an Elise in the near future rather than a long wait on a list.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Stan said:
>>>But note that, apparently, you don't have the same legal rights as when you deal directly with a dealer.
Uh....how's that? I've never heard that before. As a lawyer who admittedly doesn't work with car dealerships (but does counsel businesses on some aspects of consumer protection laws, amongst other things), it seems to me somewhat unlikely that a consumer would have fewer rights against a dealership depending on whether they deal with them at the dealership, over the phone, via email, over eBay or whatever.

Then again, I don't know everything, so I'm willing to be enlightened.

Best,
Frank

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>Uh....how's that? I've never heard that before. As a lawyer who admittedly doesn't work with car dealerships (but does counsel businesses on some aspects of consumer protection laws, amongst other things), it seems to me somewhat unlikely that a consumer would have fewer rights against a dealership depending on whether they deal with them at the dealership, over the phone, via email, over eBay or whatever. Then again, I don't know everything, so I'm willing to be enlightened.<<<

I'm no lawyer and this is just hearsay but I have heard of situations where someone won an ebay auction, but the car turned out to be sold already. Apparently some dealers throw cars up on Ebay, but if a live one with cash walks in the door, they get the car. In other words the cars don't seem to be off the market until the auction runs it's course. Just like some buyers are not confident in Ebay for cars, so apparently are some dealers. Not sure when these things happen along the time line but it does happen. If you deal with a dealer over the phone or in person and get a sales contract signed you're usually in decent shape. Maybe a lawyer can comment here. It seems like winning an auction on a car is not as strong a position as if you walk into a dealer, see a car and sign a contract on that car. Yes? No?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've bought two cars through ebay (including my 911 which I paid $43K for) and also sold two cars through listing them on ebay.

I think its a great way to buy and sell cars. I've found that if you work with a dealer, they'll work with you. I would have no problem buying a car thats either new or practically new as long as I was able to get a very detailed description. Keep in mind, if the description you're given is incorrect or misleading, you're off the hook.

Now, for used cars, I need to see and drive them first. But most folks are willing to work with you there as well. We bought our 911 after talking to the dealer and he said if we were willing to drive out and look at it, if we didn't like it, we didn't have to buy it and he'd just relist it.

The Elise prices on ebay have shocked me. I just paid $45xxx for my bordeaux red one after waiting 18 months on the list and had I not gotten on the list so early I could have paid only $1K more and could have had the car right now. Honestly, if I were still 4-6 months away from delivery, I'd be buying one of those on ebay.

-Dave
'05 Lotus Elise (BRP, Touring, hardtop)
'00 Porsche 911 C2
'03 Evolution VIII
'89 BMW M3

·
Registered
670 Posts
And just when you think people are coming to their senses and prices are nearing a reasonable level comes an auction
where some poor fool has bid $10,100 for a place in line.

Steve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts