The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here's what I am seeing on e-bay in the past week or so:

The yellow/touring one in NJ sold for $5K over list. That's the best anything has done recently as far as I can tell. The Nightfall blue with HT and touring car got bid to $1500 over (the buy price was listed at a very optimistic $10K over). The Artic Silver car with HT and touring got no bids with the auction starting at $4K over. Another Nightfall car (touring and starshield) got one bid at $1500 over but did not sell either.

Conclusion: The reality of this being a limited market appeal car is finally overcoming the imperfect market dynamics. Looks like sensible folks are willing to bid cars to $1500 over or so. market price?

Prediction: As supply is now catching up, the speculators are going to have a hard time making a buck and they will fall off the lists and the rest of us will be able to get our cars more quickly than expected. I predict that some folks may be able to negotiate off MSRP on cars by the middle of next year as lists will likely shrink fast due to the aforementioned speculators falling out and those with multiple deposits getting their cars.

Ara

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I believe that the dealers are not asking as much over MSRP for the 'extra' cars anymore either. I think that $5k over MSRP will get you a car at a dealership tomorrow.
I hope that the speculation is dying down and a lot of people that are on the list to flip the cars will drop off and get out of the way for people that really want the cars.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Over MSRP?

Ara and NMRJock:
I was down in La Jolla two weeks ago to look at their Aubergine Demo with touring package. The asking price was $15k over MSRP, although I suspected that $12.5k or even $10k over may have been acceptable.
It'd be interesting to find out if that Aubergine Demo is still there, which would support the theory that potential buyers are not going to take it any more.
- dechien

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Dunno,
Talked with LOA guys at their dealership they've had very few drop off and for everyone that drops off they get 5/6 new ones. I agree tho, I think the over list price selling is going to fade rather quickly.

Chris

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Re: Over MSRP?

dechien said:
Ara and NMRJock:
I was down in La Jolla two weeks ago to look at their Aubergine Demo with touring package. The asking price was $15k over MSRP, although I suspected that $12.5k or even $10k over may have been acceptable.
It'd be interesting to find out if that Aubergine Demo is still there, which would support the theory that potential buyers are not going to take it any more.
- dechien
Things may be quite different in your market. I was quoted lower prices at my dealership. I have a car in mind when I say that I think it could be had for $5k over (or less). I don't know with complete certainty though. It's such a beautiful car too...

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
Dunno,
Talked with LOA guys at their dealership they've had very few drop off and for everyone that drops off they get 5/6 new ones. I agree tho, I think the over list price selling is going to fade rather quickly.

Chris
The way I see it is that so long as there is a premium to be charged people dropping off the list will not help speed delivery for most people. Those spots will just go to the first guy in the door with a big checkbook. But once the premium is gone then the dealers might as well offer the car to its deposit holders at MSRP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts