The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the look of the new Elise and have been considering dumping my Z06 and buying the Elise.

Any former Corvette owners out there?

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Rich

:)

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you do a search you'll find TONS of comments and attempted comparisons. It seems to me that the consensus is that they both very competent track and sports cars, each with very different characteristics. Do you like very tight nimble handling from an extremely light weight, tight suspension roadster, or the thrown back to your seat torque in a car that can still handle the twisties.
Not an easy choice, both great cars in their own way.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been having the same dilema. I put a deposit last March thinking I would sell the '97 Viper when the time came. In your e-mail you use the phrase "dump the Z06", so am I right to assume you're ready to move on to something else, or the Z06 isn't really your style. I'm sure you realize the Z06 and Elise are totaly different experiences. And the clubs probably involve different types of activities. For myself, I'm still undecided but leaning more toward the Elise. Each one is a door to meeting different people and having different types of fun. If you have to pick between one and the other, I suggest you think about what you use your toy for, what you look for from a club, and finally which car fits you best.

Good luck.

·
Registered
869 Posts
gen2rt said:
And the clubs probably involve different types of activities. For myself, I'm still undecided but leaning more toward the Elise. Each one is a door to meeting different people and having different types of fun.

Good luck. [/B]
Yeah Corvette clubs hang out arguing which is better bud lite or miller lite.

Elise clubs argue about bass and harp.
:clap:

·
Registered
364 Posts
I will probably sell my 2004 Z06 to get a Elise. The Z06 is the best bang for the buck there is period. I expect my lap times at the track to be slower than the Z06, but lap times are not everything. There is always some one out there faster. I am an instructor at various clubs and I am no slouch. It is how you arrive that is important and which car will put the most consistent smile on your face. I have always been in love with the Lotus Europa and now I have my chance to have a modern version.

I do not belong to a Corvette club. I belong to Porsche Club of America, BWMCCA, NASA, SCCA, THSCC, Chin Motorsports and the Mustang Club (probably forgot one or two). The vette clubs like looking and talking about them. I do hang around a group of a dozen Z06's and a few C5's that we go track at road course circuits. Great fun.

jac,

That was a funny statement about the beer discussions. Mainly true. I have a Corvette and I don't drink Bud or Miller at all. I also know Bass Ale is better :p . But the Irish do know beer as well and that choice would be a nice Guinness. ;) Also, I am not a red neck Corvette owner, since I am also into fine wine. I used to own a BMW and a Porsche. :D

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yeah i like guinness too. Actualy i have a porsche boxter and a 75 triumph tr6 and I am a *******.

My freinds call me the first jewish ******* they ever met. (2am at local dirt track races drinking coors cans.) yee haw

I like good wine also!!!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
jac said:
Yeah Corvette clubs hang out arguing which is better bud lite or miller lite.

Elise clubs argue about bass and harp.
:clap:
The Belgians know more about beer than the Brits ever will. ;)

Hoegaarden rules! :bow:

·
Registered
592 Posts
jml1952 said:
The Belgians know more about beer than the Brits ever will. ;)

Hoegaarden rules! :bow:
I agree, i use to cover Belgium for work. Leffe Blonde is my favorite.

But name a Belgian car! Jacky Ickx is from Belgian so that makes up for it. I'd put him right up there with Sterling Moss for greatest drivers who never won a World Championship. Of course six Le Mans wins is a major achievemen that offsets his 2nd place in F1.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Elise vs Z06

Hey

Just brought my Elise home today. I will be selling my 2004 Z06 soon.

The first thing you notice about the Elise is that it is much more confident when turning. My Z06 is supercharged(525 rwhp) and can be touchy when applying the gas when turning.

On the other hand, I have finally found a car which makes a corvette look well built. The biggest complaint is the shifter. I will be looking into replacement if possible.

If anyone is interested in my other comments, just pm.

Marc

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used to own a C5 that I converted into a 383 stroker (464 RWTQ and 446 RWHP, 11.7 1/4 miler). Enjoyed it thoroughly. After the mods it was stonkingly mad compared to the Elise. I think the LS1 & LS6 are excellent motors and the vette's dymanics are very good.

The Elise is all about finesse, total feedback, and crisp visceral responses. The vette was visceral too with the mods, but not as crisp. The Elise is also about total commitment-- willingnes to sacrifice space, practicality and servicing at your neighborhood chevy dealer. It's also about accepting shoulder to shoulder driving with any potential passenger, which may or may not be an issue depending on your current personal situation, and explaining how you're accustomed to the corresponding entry and exit contortions

Some office colleagues question my sanity in taking the Elise to the office...yesterday I grinned all the way to work and all the way back. These questions never came up with the vette. I tell them I am committed to the sportscar experience, even though there's a fine line between that and being just plain committed.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I will not slam the Vette, because for the cost it is still the best value on the planet. I would LOVE to see one in my garage along side the Elise. I've met some super Vette owners who drink the same beer I do, too. It's just that the most obnoxious Vette owners leave a lasting impression, and its not a favorable. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
One of the things I really like about this board is the level of open minds in relationg to various cars. Unlike another board (non-Elise), people here evaluate cars based on the cars and not the "image" it protrays. :clap:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of your input and keep it coming! I do love driving my Z06, but this is my 4th Corvette in a row. Also, the Elise is exotic looking and not as 'ordinary' as my Vette.

I know the tv shows loved the Elise and most of the mags I have read as well.

It is looking more and more likely that the Elise will replace my Z06.

:D

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
Z16-Rich said:
Thanks for all of your input and keep it coming! I do love driving my Z06, but this is my 4th Corvette in a row. Also, the Elise is exotic looking and not as 'ordinary' as my Vette.

I know the tv shows loved the Elise and most of the mags I have read as well.

It is looking more and more likely that the Elise will replace my Z06.

:D
You should see if a demo in your area is available for a test drive. Try to get a feel for it. The Liz is not as comfy as the Vette, but I don't think it can be matched in SPH (Smiles Per Hour). It's just plain fun. The moment you see it you know it's something special. When you climb into the cockpit you confirm that it is no "normal" everyday car.

I've seen the new C6 Vette in person. I know the numbers are great however it doesn't look “that” special IMO... That's a bad way of wording that; let’s just say it doesn't look exotic. My brain tells me it's an awesome car for the money, yet I can't get excited about it.
I'm not knocking the Vette, this is simply the way I feel. Had it not been, I would have bought one. The Elise is a very different experience.

The double edged sword to owning the Liz is that it attracts a lot of attention.... I MEAN A LOT!!! Most of it is good, but not all.

The Elise is a car that you drive when you want to drive. I don't really use it for chores or for anything as mundane as getting from A to B. The Liz is my stress relief, few other cars are better for this purpose.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I've only test driven a 2001 Z06, so I'm not in a position to say.

But, if you sold your Z06 for an Elise, you could eventually sell the Elise for a C6 Z06 in two to three years. Just planning ahead. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have test driven the C6 and I was not WOWED. Don't get me wrong, its a very nice car. But, for that kind of money I want a more emotional response than 'gee that's nice'.

I do like the idea of the 06 Z06, but it is still not exotic or rare by any means.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I drove a new C6 on the race track and did say WOW. It is a wonderfull car and track capable (with Z51). Keep in mind I have a track preparred Z06, so I have a reference. The C6 is still shy of the Z06, but very capable compared to the standard C5. The C6 is an excellent bargain for the buck. A better bang for the buck than the Z06.

The new C6 Z06 will be more of an exotic than you think. Wider fendor flares, different looks (in/out) for sure compared to std C6, over 500 hp, aluminum hyro formed frame (much lighter), different brakes/suspension setup etc.

I am going to test drive an Elise this weekend in Atlanta. So I will find out just how hot this car is.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts