The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I know there’s a thread on pics of garages already but I’m about to purchase a permanent home with a 3 car garage and I’m looking for ideas on how to finish my garage. I’m looking for custom cabinets, flooring, lighting, etc...

What brands are good in terms of quality and overall value? Any pics or info will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Custom and Value are usually not in same sentence. You may want to check out GarageJournal Forums. There is an amazing wealth of information there. The build threads are nothing short of amazing.

I often hear Lista cabinets are really popular, also really expensive (think Snap-on).

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I just did my three car garage in a house that I bought last year.
Instead of cabinets, I decided to hide my stuff on shelves behind Ikea curtains, mounted to a rope suspension which I built.
This is what I started with:
IMG_1552.jpg

Some work in progress:
IMG_1632.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

And this is what it looks like right now:
IMG_2269.jpg

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Some more pictures:

IMG_1764.jpg

IMG_1984.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

IMG_2047.jpg

I did it on a budget and the only thing I had professionally done was the floor.
The rest is just IKEA and home depot stuff and some labor.
Lights are the costco LED shop lights

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input guys. @Mr.C can you tell me what type of flooring that is and the cost please? And do you mind sharing your total budget?

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
We just put in a whole crap-ton from Flow Wall but then the basement got some water damage. Once the basement is put back together, I'll be able to finally get a good clean picture, haha. The floor is epoxy that the previous owner put down, and it absolutely sucks something awful. It looked great when we moved in, but even standing water causes it to bubble up and separate.

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
I will second spending some time on Garage Journal. A lot of good ideas and projects there.

Check out Ikea cabinets. I have some in my garage and basement. I put flat, gloss black doors on them (also Ikea) and they are holding up great.

You will want 100% solids if you put down an epoxy floor and want it to last.

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,256 Posts

Attachments

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
The flooring I had installed is 100% solids epoxy.
Cost was $4.50 per square foot.

It's tough to give you a total budget number, but a few references:
Shop lights were around $20 a piece on sale at Costco. I installed 14 of them.
Curtains are around $15 for a two pack at Ikea. So a pack covers around 2m or 6ft.
Bamboo for the stairs was around $3 per sqft. Take that roughly times three to account for adhesive, sub structure and hardware.
I believe the three Ikea sliding curtains to cover the heater were around $100 including hardware.
Plus add a few hundred $ for miscellaneous stuff like wire, conduit, outlet boxes, paint, baseboards etc.
I had already owned those modular shelves as well as the tool chests, work bench etc. for many years, so they didn't count towards my budget.

I was debating using cabinets for a while, but eventually decided on the shelves with curtains.
Cabinets are just too limiting regarding the size of stuff that you can fit in there. Something half an inch too big and the door doesn't close anymore.
I hung the curtains about 4 inches in front of those 20" shelves. So even if something doesn't fit perfectly on the shelf, is still doesn't cause any issues and still looks neat and organized.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I will second spending some time on Garage Journal. A lot of good ideas and projects there.

Check out Ikea cabinets. I have some in my garage and basement. I put flat, gloss black doors on them (also Ikea) and they are holding up great.

You will want 100% solids if you put down an epoxy floor and want it to last.
What do you mean by 100% solids Ted?

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,256 Posts
Thanks, a local shop made a few of those signs yrs ago.

·
Premium Member
11,479 Posts
Future readers:

Best way to install garage lighting, the way many shops do it.

45 degree angle where top of wall meets ceiling. Pointing lights down does not flood the area with light.

·
Premium Member
11,479 Posts
I finally finished my garage. Please excuse the clutter. Didn’t get a chance to clean up yet. I was too excited to snap some pics.
Looks terrific!

·
Hickory, NC
944 Posts
NewAge Pro 3.0 from garageorganization.com. Great value, doors are not wobbly, self closing doors, all locks keyed alike, adjustable feet, tons of configurations included like hooks for lockers, coat racks, drawer dividers, bolt bins and heavy drawers that pull straight. Spent about 6k on it but I have 21ft of countertop now and 2 6ft work benches. This winter I’m working on shelf lighting that works with the doors

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
NewAge Pro 3.0 from garageorganization.com. Great value, doors are not wobbly, self closing doors, all locks keyed alike, adjustable feet, tons of configurations included like hooks for lockers, coat racks, drawer dividers, bolt bins and heavy drawers that pull straight. Spent about 6k on it but I have 21ft of countertop now and 2 6ft work benches. This winter I’m working on shelf lighting that works with the doors
I used NewAge also. I bought mine through Costco. Great quality. I’m very happy with the results.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts