The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
couldn't find something that fit my needs... So I did my own.

Head wrapped the Stock Cat pipe, and went with a Magnaflow non-baffled 18x9x4 offset tip. also a custom Rear panel delete and Plate relocation.

Still have to have it powder-coated and get the real tip (tip pictured is temporary.) However this will give you the audio.

Sound is perfect! :clap:

Lotus Elise Custom Magnaflow Exhaust TheChazz.com - YouTube

DONE!

Finished:

Muffler $70
Cat Heat Wrap $40
2.5" Clamp $10
Stainless tip $15
Weld work $60
Plate Relocation and panel delete $15
Total cost:
$210

"In progress pics"
Few cell pics for now, Ill shoot some nice ones when its all said and done. (Looks much better than this pic)

(This pic was without the muffler)

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
Nicely done Chazz. What is your camera and set up? I am thinking of doing a before and after video with the stock and the parts I have sitting around waiting to be installed. I do have a GoPro but I'm apprehensive about putting it on the outside of the car.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just my gopro, Ive used it over 160+MPH (On a 458) with no issues. Clean it, stick it, and its good to go!

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
sounds a lot like the Borla I just put on my Elise.

sort of makes it sound more like a sports bike than a car doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,981 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
FWIW...

I have a large (straight through) magnaflow on my car... and it seems as though I killed it in short order. After a track weekend I noticed that it *seemed* to be louder. Additionally I noticed that the tip and the muffler have a very light orange tint to it suggesting it saw some heat on the track day and may have burned up some of the damping material?!

In any case just something to look out for. I will be changing my muffler setup again soon and will try to find something that is a little more quiet, even if it costs me a few horsepower. I've heard good things about Borla XS and Dynomax Super Turbo. Anyone else have a suggestion on a quiet muffler with good flow?

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, I know my exhaust does get CRAZY hot. (Hence the heat-shield I had to add to the Clam)

Your right, this tip was almost IMPOSSIBLE to find! its a 2.5 to 3.5" Slash-cut short tip.

I wanted a stainless but never found one. Ended up finding this one on the "Rice" Isle at OReillys. Its Chrome plated steel. I painted the welded areas with High temp Ceramic paint, then wrapped the heat-wrap just past the welds.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
FWIW...

I have a large (straight through) magnaflow on my car... and it seems as though I killed it in short order. After a track weekend I noticed that it *seemed* to be louder. Additionally I noticed that the tip and the muffler have a very light orange tint to it suggesting it saw some heat on the track day and may have burned up some of the damping material?!

In any case just something to look out for. I will be changing my muffler setup again soon and will try to find something that is a little more quiet, even if it costs me a few horsepower. I've heard good things about Borla XS and Dynomax Super Turbo. Anyone else have a suggestion on a quiet muffler with good flow?
boe silent touch

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
it would be rockin' if they did. Quiet below 3500, progressively louder above that. Screaming like a banshee at 7000-8000.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Sorry I should have clarified I have 3" exhaust.

Seems none of the vendors offer 3" exhaust so I'm assuming it has to be custom :(
I wonder if whatever muffler boe uses for the silent touch is available in 3"
i would say your best bet it to go with a custom setup... I used Vibrant materials for my setup (I only went 2.5 since I don’t plan on boosting)

they do offer a 3" though...

Vibrant Performance ::.

magnaflow also makes a 3" canister type as well

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=10286

I also don’t have a tip for my setup, I just had my fabricator cut a 45* angle on a 2.5" SS piece of bent pipe & cleaned up the edges

In your case, I would highly recommend a custom setup since it will save you $ & you get what you want on top of it

PM me if you want my fab guys info (I know he would love to do another Lotus setup)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sounds really good, I love it!
I'm about to instal my Weapon-R Catless Header with a custom Kooks 14in muffler. I'm really excited to hear it!

·
Plug Whisperer
6,305 Posts
Sorry I should have clarified I have 3" exhaust.

Seems none of the vendors offer 3" exhaust so I'm assuming it has to be custom :(
I wonder if whatever muffler boe uses for the silent touch is available in 3"
3" no problem... I made a custom 3" u-bend for my race car and made a 3" can and tip for it... It's complete with v-band and flex joints, etc. Expensive and time consuming, but needed when the car lives on the track.

Drop me a line if you need the 3" muffler and mount... I don't have enough time to make custom 3" u-bends and exhaust system like mine for everyone at this time though, so there's not a lot a point of running a 3" muffler unless ya have a 3" u-bend, nozzle, etc... just say'n :D

Later,

Phil

1 - 20 of 24 Posts