The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Inspired by Tesprit's mirror in the "mods you can't buy" Thread, i decided to try and make a custom rear view mirror. I cut the main mirror housing last night. a few things came out wrong, like the fillets on the edges, however its not bad. Still need to machine the arm to hold it to the window and 2 other pieces.

I'll post picture of the whole CAD assembly once i retrieve the thumb drive from the VF4 in the shop where i left it last night.

It needs a small bit of polishing, you can see the line where it was in a vice, but overall it came out not bad.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, finally have time to post the rest of this. yesterday was busy with the car show 9-3 and then working on some old KZ400's till about midnight.

I have both a rendered model and an exploded view below. really simple idea, ball with a threaded rod sits inside the mirror body, piece on top is tightened to give some resistance so that the mirror doesn't flop around. i need to make it slightly larger based on what i saw in the car yesterday, and figure out some way to machine the arm, since that wasn't really designed to be easily made. Progress will be a little slow since I'm trying to make this around finishing up everything for school.

If i have time, and can find material to make some soft jaws, i'll be trying to make this version of the mirror body.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts