The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been at it for a while in trying to find something that can be as Reverie-like without that type of cost, considering this can be quite the consumable for avid track addicts. Contacted a few companies, but ultimately decided to build my own.

Now that it's templated I could more easily go to some of these companies and have them replicate with other materials, etc. I'd just need to know if the demand was there, otherwise I'm just building a few for myself.

Half inch, wood, front edge angle tapered. AoA is pretty much flat. 12 anchor points in total, I can basically stand on it. Love the way it came out.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
167 Posts
Been at it for a while in trying to find something that can be as Reverie-like without that type of cost, considering this can be quite the consumable for avid track addicts. Contacted a few companies, but ultimately decided to build my own.

Now that it's templated I could more easily go to some of these companies and have them replicate with other materials, etc. I'd just need to know if the demand was there, otherwise I'm just building a few for myself.

Half inch, wood, front edge angle tapered. AoA is pretty much flat. 12 anchor points in total, I can basically stand on it. Love the way it came out.

View attachment 1274745 View attachment 1274746 View attachment 1274747 View attachment 1274748 View attachment 1274749 View attachment 1274750

View attachment 1274745 View attachment 1274746 View attachment 1274747 View attachment 1274748 View attachment 1274749 View attachment 1274750
What are the cutouts for?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exige clam have these 'humps' in those spots. When you order full splitters, like the reverie unit, you can get it with and without cut outs. I realized why when i made this one.

You can go completely flat, but you have to cut the humps out on the clam.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
167 Posts
Exige clam have these 'humps' in those spots. When you order full splitters, like the reverie unit, you can get it with and without cut outs. I realized why when i made this one.

You can go completely flat, but you have to cut the humps out on the clam.
Nice to see you fabricating a splitter for our cars.
You can buy carbon fiber with a spacer between the 2 sheets of cf.You can cut it with an inexpensive router and a carbide or diamond bit.
I would recommend making a continuous curve so you don’t have a flat at the front.

·
Administrator
2,115 Posts
What type of ply did you use? Marine grade fir? Okoume? If you go thinner with high quality ply you'll have better strength and lighter weight while still keeping costs down. Be sure to epoxy all sides (WEST) especially the edges it will strengthen and completely waterproof it. If you want to get fancy go thinner yet and use CF to cover the whole panel with the ply as your core. 9mm Okumbe is 7 ply BS1088 rated

·
Registered
783 Posts
Nice work! I'm interested as well, esp if you can make it from CF composite sheet. And I second the suggestion for a continuous curve eliminating the flat at the center leading edge.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input guys!

This is really just version one. My intention was to make a few spares, and because this can be quite the consumable at the track, I wanted something I can easy swing by Lowes or Home Depot, grab and go!

Things to note, especially for round 2.
  1. Its birch, half inch
  2. After I gave it a mild sanding, its wonderfully smooth
  3. I used a flat black oil-based paint and put on 2 thick coats, already washed it and it was waterproof!
  4. I tapered the leading edge until about 4 inches from the angled sides.
  5. I gave it a very slight squaring off on the nose, as some of you pointed it out. I followed some other designs out there, and I actually followed the OEM front lip as guidance. After it was done I'm glad I did it that way, as it gives it a tiny bit more character. But, I can easily make it evenly rounded all the way.
  6. Using the 6 mounting points from the OEM lip, the last on both sides are in an extreme angle, I'm not happy with how its screwed in, but it is secure, so I need to find a way to get the washer/screw properly sitting in that angle.
  7. I have extra holes I need to fill (but are covered by the washers) from the OE lip, was off on my initial guesstimate, but hey, its not visible at all from the outside.
  8. Correction, 13 mounting points.
  9. Still measuring out the AoA, but from that I can tell so far, its nice and flat!

Love all the ideas and input, and I may give that other type of wood a try! Also, its a bit hectic with the holidays now and the state of affairs out there, but I'm going to try to get more detailed pics for you all to see.

Additionally, I'm going to take this one of two ways;
  1. Try to make a batch myself (10) and if the demand is there, just make them at request.
  2. I have one company whom I really enjoyed working with in the past, and they may be able to make this out of better/lighter materials similar or equal to CF (or actual CF) and I'm in the process of finding out what the cost of that would be.
Will be adding sides, rear diffuser and wing shortly!

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
167 Posts
Thanks for the input guys!

This is really just version one. My intention was to make a few spares, and because this can be quite the consumable at the track, I wanted something I can easy swing by Lowes or Home Depot, grab and go!

Things to note, especially for round 2.
  1. Its birch, half inch
  2. After I gave it a mild sanding, its wonderfully smooth
  3. I used a flat black oil-based paint and put on 2 thick coats, already washed it and it was waterproof!
  4. I tapered the leading edge until about 4 inches from the angled sides.
  5. I gave it a very slight squaring off on the nose, as some of you pointed it out. I followed some other designs out there, and I actually followed the OEM front lip as guidance. After it was done I'm glad I did it that way, as it gives it a tiny bit more character. But, I can easily make it evenly rounded all the way.
  6. Using the 6 mounting points from the OEM lip, the last on both sides are in an extreme angle, I'm not happy with how its screwed in, but it is secure, so I need to find a way to get the washer/screw properly sitting in that angle.
  7. I have extra holes I need to fill (but are covered by the washers) from the OE lip, was off on my initial guesstimate, but hey, its not visible at all from the outside.
  8. Correction, 13 mounting points.
  9. Still measuring out the AoA, but from that I can tell so far, its nice and flat!

Love all the ideas and input, and I may give that other type of wood a try! Also, its a bit hectic with the holidays now and the state of affairs out there, but I'm going to try to get more detailed pics for you all to see.

Additionally, I'm going to take this one of two ways;
  1. Try to make a batch myself (10) and if the demand is there, just make them at request.
  2. I have one company whom I really enjoyed working with in the past, and they may be able to make this out of better/lighter materials similar or equal to CF (or actual CF) and I'm in the process of finding out what the cost of that would be.
Will be adding sides, rear diffuser and wing shortly!
Make sure your sitting down when you see cf prices,$200 is my guess for 1/16 tk.it’s so stiff it will blow your mind

·
Administrator
2,115 Posts
Make sure your sitting down when you see cf prices,$200 is my guess for 1/16 tk.it’s so stiff it will blow your mind
Yeah and because of the greater than 48" width panel size will have to be larger as well as shipping. They all go up exponentially! Costs on the panel will depend on core and layup selection. If he uses his layout on 1/4 or 3/8 okumbe and adds CF outer layer he gets high strength relatively lightweight for less. Not sure if I would trust a 1/16 panel.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
@kfennell Playing with different material but flexible landscape edging works fantastic (very stiff). Picked up 1.5inch tall and 2 inch tall. Will be switching to the 2inch tall for a solid seal.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Great looking splitter. I'd be careful on mounting to the front clam with the existingm ounts. I've seen splitters mounted that way rip the front clam off or badly damaging it when off roading at the track. I'd reinforce it and mount it to the crash structure and frame only, which will easily withstand 250+ pounds

1 - 16 of 16 Posts