The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The light in my start button stopped working (I know, it's an easy fix), so I used it as an excuse to order a custom replacement from https://billetautomotivebuttons.com/. I upload a logo I made up and they shipped it the next day. Took a while to transverse the earth from down under, but it was worth the wait.

The largest button they make is 28mm and the stock button is 35mm, so I did have to make a spacer. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the result.

[Don't know why my pics are loading sideways :scratchhead:]

Attachments

·
`08 Elise-SC-220
505 Posts
Ooops...didn't notice that
No worries! Classy concept though. I can't take any credit for noticing that. I was reading about it in a thread in here that Chinese knockoff's cleverly evade copyright infringement by drawing it that way. At a casual glance, you wouldn't notice the difference (unless you were looking for it...):laugh2:

·
Registered
767 Posts
VERY cool. Love the blue color too!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really love this concept! How does the button push feel? Any modification required to the original socket?
The feel of the button is really solid. It has less throw than the stack button, which I like. It’s a bit smaller than the stock button, so I made a wood spacer, but it’d work without it.

·
Registered
5,204 Posts
Reminds me that I need a good blue LED for my button.

It's funny, there are so many junk LED's around, it's hard to find something good nowdays...

But the LED from my first tiny robot project in 1987 still works perfectly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I figured this out, and for those wondering:

Using the image from here: mrrrk.net | Replacing the starter button on my Lotus Elise of the connector, you will see it marked with A-D

...Where the A-D are designated as follows:

A = Bulb +
B = Bulb - / Ground
C = Immobiliser
D = Ignition

Where A is the first red wire on the Lotus plug (the rest are black, because sure, why not?).

I don't know what the deal is with A, because it doesn't appear to do anything - maybe that's just my ignorance here.

Here's the Billet Button diagram:

The top middle connector (I believe is red on their wires) can be wired to the ignition (D), along with the far right button connector (green wire - either one). This will mean the light will always be on, when the keys are in the ACC position.

The other green wire on the Billet button (far left switch connection) will be wired to the immobilizer (C).

The rest just tuck under. As for finding something to hold it in the hole? Good luck - I used a 3/4" rubber grommet on the front side, and the original plastic nut for the original start button forced on the back. (Maybe next time I should do 28mm instead of 22mm - I thought I did.)

I now have another issue - when I was stranded, thanks to the original start button not working, I had to pull some of the wires out of the side panel, break open the start button, and jump the connection using the metal on my garage door opener (The mind goes to some next level MacGyver mess, when you're stranded). Now the needles on the dash stopped working, and the immobilizer light comes on blinking while driving, and a fuse melted for the AC Compressor - replaced fuse, no issue there, but the dash is still dead. Checked remaining fuses under the dash, and the fuse box in the hood area - all looks good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts