The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody seen anything like this? Pulled it out of the Elise today, fits behind the seats, some custom fiberglass it appears, odd with 3 drivers? If you turn it up it bottoms out pretty quick and sounds horrible so seems like somebody spent a ton of money back in the day. Never seen anything like it. And HEAVY.
Camera accessory Grey Audio equipment Automotive tire Carbon

·
Registered
112 Posts
Terrible design . . . with 3 - assuming (4Ohm Speakers) in Parallel, you are running 1.3ohm load . . . less than half of the 4ohm load expected by the amp. It is likely going to distort and shutdown the amp when you crank up the volume. Even if 8ohm speakers were used in parallel it is 2.97ohms which is still just over half the expected load. I assume it is running a dedicated amp too for additional weight?

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, they had THREE amps in the trunk, front/rear/sub. And everything sounded horrible.. headunit was from 2005, I think original owner went with blank check to some shop and they sold him the moon. Complete waste of money.

Never seen any sub design like this - wonder if it’s theoretically possible to work, or just some one-off Frankenstein. Literally you turn up the music a bit and all sorts of bottoming-out “bzzz” comes out, speakers look intact so don’t know if that’s the limit or if things have degraded.

·
Registered
112 Posts
For the sub, I would first remove the 3 speakers and only hook up one of the speakers to the input and see how that sounds . . . I am assuming they are 4ohm speakers and there is no built in cross-over network inside the box. It is also looking like they are 3 different size speakers . . . if they are, hook up just the large one first. Not sure how that box sits in your Elise . . . are there any ports in the box? are the speakers sitting downward on floor or deck? Need to add feet and raise the speaker so the speaker foam edge is not sitting on the floor

·
Registered
112 Posts
Not sure what speakers and amps you have all around but I am guessing the front and rear speakers are getting over powered when you crank up the volume (might check to see that those speakers look physically okay . . . may just need to adjust the balance relative to the subwoofer) and I am guessing the sub setup has an issue with the load for the amp. How does it sound with the RCA to the sub disconnected and just turning up the volume with the front and rear speakers . . . are they buzzing? I am not sure how they are dealing with the cross over . . . by the head unit?, by a separate cross over?, switched at the amp?

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This sub was custom fit to attach to the rear panel behind the seats, it was screwed to it from the back. Speakers fire towards the bottom. I’m going to get rid of it and either leave empty or replace with that carbon fiber version. Speakers are glued to the structure. Still wonder what the theory is in having such small drivers.

The other speakers are all Morel and sound blown, very “imprecise” and noisy. They all look fine but being 15 years old perhaps they need to be replaced as well. I already replaced the HU with a simple one that can do Bluetooth and crossovers in the unit.

·
Registered
112 Posts
yeah, I would just pull and redo whole setup . . . the speakers should be high end but may be pretty tired. There are lot of options now. Not sure how the sub sounded in its prime but probably an offshoot of Bose home theater speaker idea, but should be set of 4speakers and wiring it up in a parallel for two sets of 2 speakers and then running those in series to get the load back to 4ohms so as to not torture the amp. Then you need to get the volume right, the speaker phases right, and likely would work better if it was ported. They probably went with this because at the time there were probably limited options for shallow depth larger subwoofer speakers and limited space for the sub box size. They may have considered using a polyfill for subwoofer insulation to make it seem like a larger sub enclosure. After 15years, the head units have definitely improved, the speakers have improved and certainly the amps.

·
Registered
163 Posts
With the sound up you don’t hear the squeaks and rattles. And it’s not setup for loud bass, just a good overall sound.
I changed out all the speakers to a much higher end, running focal front and back off of a jl 5 channel amp with just that one 10” sub housed in the fiberglass enclosure I built.

·
Registered
269 Posts
This is the sub install that came in the white car I just got. It looks like a carbon fiber enclosure and it fits quite nicely behind the seat.

Looks like he has a JL Audio 8" driver in there.

I am pulling out all the audio out of the car and will probably put on here if anyone is interested in a sub enclosure / sub and amp. Amp is an alpine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts