The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Toying around with a towhook design I've been working on and wanted to know what everyone thought about it.

Hook pivots up and down like any other towhook but what's different about this is that the plane of the hook is 90 degrees to how it would normally face. Doing some weight testing tomorrow on some of the parts.

-Tyler

·
Happy To Be Here
2013 Lotus Evora IPS - Carbon Gray
868 Posts
Won't that swing while you're driving and start chipping away at your front bumper? Or, if you get close to an object, it will do more damage than a light bumper tap? It looks nice if it were to stay where it is, but I would worry about easy damage; especially if you go over a strong enough bump. It might hit the top of the grill opening and come back down to hit the bottom. That would make for a bad day. :(

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Good way to ruin your crash structure and clam.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi guys. I made a new mockup of the hook so it came off the edge of the clam. Even though it locked at 90 degrees and wouldn't hit even if it swung, I think it looks nicer further up.

I also did weight testing on the clevis I'm using to make sure it was up to par by testing it against the OEM towhook. I lifted a 1 ton (the weight of the Elise) wrecking ball and the clevis had no problem bearing the weight while the OEM hook ring distorted and bent out of shape.

Before:

During:

After:

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
It looks good, keep us updated.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good way to ruin your crash structure and clam.
The clam comment I can understand if it swung, but it stops rotating about a quarter of an inch away from the clam. I brought the hook up a bit in the revision of the mockup anyway so it's a non-issue. As far the the crash structure, you could ruin it if you bumped into something fast enough I suppose, but no more than you would running the OEM towhook (both stick out a bit off the front of the clam).

·
Premium Member
5,195 Posts
The only problem I see is that if someone backed into you or if you hit someone you will damage the sub-frame because it sticks out even when folded.

·
Premium Member
4,101 Posts
True ............. Mine is horizontal and poses the same problem. The good thing about this one is its quick disconnect.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ever finish the front license plate mount? You know what I'm talking about...:D
I finished a prototype but had issues with the quick connector I was using having too much play (causing the plate to wiggle even though it was firmly attached). This is actually the new quick release plate. For the tests I used a bolt, but the towhook actually comes right off with a pin and will be able to be changed out with a front plate bracket if desired

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Comes off similar to the one Pooter made (that GunPilot has)

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ever finish the front license plate mount? You know what I'm talking about...:D
When I get this together I'll try to get you a prototype ;)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
The reason why you shouldn't run the stock tow hook at all times is precisely what sturgeongeneral mentioned. If someone backs into your car, the first point of contact could be the tow hook which means your crash structure is f'd. That is worse than having the clam take the shunt.

The only tow hooks that you should run all the time are the ones that fold up/down flat. Even then, it's just a fashion statement.

If you think that's unlikely and don't mind that risk, you can go on ahead. But I believe a member here had it happen to him:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/elise-vs-steel-gate-controller-need-advice-body-shop-28065

Crash structure damage can be close to another $6-7K to replace in addition to the clam. Minimize the risk.

·
Cyberdyne Model 101
347 Posts
Seems like every few months someone is attempting to redesign this part....Just not sure why.

There are several quality replacements to the OEM one. Why not just pick one and move on?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Seems like every few months someone is attempting to redesign this part....Just not sure why.

There are several quality replacements to the OEM one. Why not just pick one and move on?
The main reason for designing it is because I am making a plate bracket that will be able to be switched out with the hook via a quick release pin. As for it not being fold-flat. I have a piece that was CNC milled that is fold flat, but having a design like this that can be cut from a single 8mm sheet of material is more cost effective

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Would be cool if it pivoted out of the way on the horizontal plane - basically, it slides under the plastic strakes so it's 'hidden'. Paint it black and it bends in, but slide it out when needed.

That way it doesn't stick out which could lead to someone backing into it. Not to mention people asking dumb questions about 'what is that thing'.

·
Cyberdyne Model 101
347 Posts
The main reason for designing it is because I am making a plate bracket that will be able to be switched out with the hook via a quick release pin. As for it not being fold-flat. I have a piece that was CNC milled that is fold flat, but having a design like this that can be cut from a single 8mm sheet of material is more cost effective

Sonds good man, Seems like you have it all worked out.

It also might come in handy when your cruising the back roads of Ramsey lol. I live ten min from the Ramapo valley reservation. Next time you have the elise out in that area give me shout.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts